How many segments on a one-way award?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm searching for return flights from southeast Asia at the end of the summer and having trouble finding (for instance) BKK-NYC.

However, I can find BKK-ORD on the BA site using Japan Airlines via NRT. On the AA site I can find low-cost availability ORD-LGA (change in MSP) three hours after the Japan Airlines flight arrives in ORD.

If I call AA and feed them the flight numbers can these four segments be combined into a single one way award? Would it be better to get them as part of a round-trip?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You are not limited to the number of segments, but the rules do state that you should take the most direct route to your destination. Whether AA will view going from ORD-MSP to get to LGA as backtracking and unallowable is questionable. Best to call and ask IMHO.

LarryInNYC and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly will be calling them tonight. However, I'd like to have a routing ready to go when I talk to them.

Is that the kind of thing that's controlled by the computer, or does the customer service rep I'm talking to make the decision?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are more direct routes from ORD to LGA on the award availability, but they leave before or around the time that the NRT flight arrives. However, if I understand, I'm allowed to stopover in Chicago, since it's the North American gateway, right? I could take a more direct flight the next day?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The next day or even 100 days after. :)

6. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are allowed a stopover in the North American gateway.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, just curious. I was on the phone with AA last night and had a lot of trouble finding availability NYC - BKK and back. Checking ORD - BKK, I see there's a lot more availability in the summer. I assume that I can route myself NYC - ORD - BKK and back. My question (and I realize it's probably very naive) is why didn't the agent I spoke to last night offer me that kind of routing? Was it because I said I was leaving from NYC that she didn't check other hubs?

(I'm using BA to check availability, assuming any Japan or Cathay Pacific award inventory that shows up there is available to AA).

Jimgotkp likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    She might not be putting full effort into searching for options. Or you might be running into married segment issues for inventory control. Hard to say without being involved.

It's always good to ask questions when they say no. "Did you check through ORD? LAX?" etc...

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That shouldn't be a problem. I'm traveling with my wife! ;)

My goal is to call them with the routing already in hand, which is why I'm trying to make myself as informed as possible before my next call.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck, and if you have difficulty with the agent you can always try the FF motto: hang up and call again. :D