How many people have two passports.

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by why fly, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I consider myself lucky because I have two passports. British or EU is my second passport. Its good for 10 years but its full in 3. I was born in the UK but immigrated to Canada when i was 6 months old. :)
    I find the 2 passports is so helpful when i need 'difficult" visa's that take more than a week to complete. Its also great to use different passports depending on fees for different countries or even if I need a Visa.

The biggest plus is if something goes wrong I have the British Embassy to help out... :) I suspect they would be more helpful than Canada in many countries. :)

EU and US might be the two best passports but Canada EU has to be second best???? your thoughts?

so how many have 2 Passports. and what are they?

2. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh no, we have something in common.

3. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have dual citizenship too.

4. looking at flights this must be Simon?
    did you get out before you got a British Accent?

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have Canada and EU. I'd rather have that than US and EU -- US citizenship immediately drags you into worldwide taxation by IRS (and the pleasure of dealing with IRS for tax returns each year).

Grace likes this.
  6. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes exactly! I have a Polish passport even though I was born in Canada. Have used it to get visas before. Also awesome for not having to worry about work visas etc. to any EU countries.

tomh009 likes this.
  7. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canada UK here. It's great asset when travelling in that region and it also means I can keep my Canadian passport 'clean' from any visa that might upset the US.

8. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Australian soon to have Canadian.

Wife has Canadian & British.

Children will have Australia/Canadian/&British :)

9. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usa & canada (waiting for it)

TheMadBrewer likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have two. One for me and one for my wife. [​IMG]

ACMM and Chimpy like this.
  11. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia and New Zealand, not as exciting as some.

12. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have both UK (like the 10 year validity)and Canadian. Was also able to get one for daughter born in Canada. Provides great flexibility.

13. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have UK (Canadian in about 18 months time, I think). Can't wait to be shot of the I-94W shuffle 3-4 times a year when head across to BUF. IIRC, I can apply for NEXUS at the same time :)

Daughter has both (just renewing them - UK kids passports are shorter duration, but seeing as she had her first (biometric!) UK one within a week of being born, I've kind of wondered if biometrics had any real point for kids that young - all their features are growing, right?)

Wife has Canadian and UK permanent right to remain stamp (and wishes she'd got her UK one sorted while she was living in the UK - the Brasilian visa fees were pretty eye-watering. The charges and hurdles to get a UK one these days are even more so, mind you)

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 6. However they are all Canadian and 5 have expired. Does that count? :)

JSpira and c_9 like this.
  15. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canadian/Hungarian. I have NEVER used the Hungarian one, but somehow it is the one on my Nexus card

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have dual citizenship, Canada and UK, originally born in the UK, moved to Canada in my late teens, still have the accent. Also go back quite often, this Friday is the first trip to the UK this year to see family!

18. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    US and German, daughter has US, German and Japanese. Got three of G7 covered.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the German EU passport, you can now cover all of G7, except for Canada. Better start working on that one! ;)

20. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    Canada + EU.
    I only use the EU for entry to EU. Everywhere else it is Canadian.

21. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have three permanent documents, two of which are passports. Thus I have the following three:

-Canadian Passport
    -U.S. Passport
    -Hong Kong Permanent ID Card

Now is there a way I can apply for a Leslieville Passport so I can bypass the coons? :p :D

22. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your getting a Canadian PP you must be a Canadian PR so why wait to apply for your NEXUS?

23. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the US you can have two passports. I just learned about this recently. The justification is fairly straight forward. Here are the two main reasons:

1) You have trips planned and one trip requires you send your passport in to get a visa. In my case it's China. During the period of time that my passport will be with the Chinese officials to get the visa, I have to go to the EU, so I am getting a 2nd passport to cover this situation.

2) You are traveling to parts of the world where the placement of an immigration stamp or travel visa from country #1 would cause problems in country #2.

It requires some additional documentation but it's do-able.

24. filling passports is a hassle.....some countries Visa are full pages so in no time I fill up passports. :(
    Also the problem of passport stamps from countries that other countries dont like. My Syrian stamps are in my EU passport :)

25. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another one here with Canada + UK. I've only every used the UK passport twice and that's because the line was shorter. :D

The UK passport will be useful for entry to Dubai where they are still riled at us pesky Canadians and perhaps for Brazil which I need entry to take pics of Iguazu Falls.