How many pages in your passport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by piqaro, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I got up to 72 cherished pages and it was stolen. (Rome Termini) First time ever. At 8 years old it was stomped, but also run through the washing machine twice.
    Within a year my new passport was stolen. (Saint Petersburg, Russia)
    My current PP has 96 pages and all the extra ones were before they started charging for them in the US. Some memories with the pages, as they came from Russia, Germany and Latvia. Gotta love US Citizen services; In and Out in 15 minutes.

I most always use a passport card around the world, unless I need a stamp. It is official government issued ID and I have never been denied. I have been told they never seen it before, (even TSA a few times) I advise them its been around for almost 5 years. Also, in countries where corrupt police like to seize your ID, it has no address on it or truly relevant number. I have had tickets written to a PP card and none have ever caught up with me :p

I keep my PP safe by making sure its in a zipper or button pocket, cause I am paranoid :p

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our passports come with 48 pages and unable to add any.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too many coz all the immigration people take too much time to read them all.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Do they glue them together like in India so they look like a bible ?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea how many pages, but it was the original issue + 3 additions. The last one in Bangkok the embassy charged me for. $82 for 6 sheets of paper. [​IMG]

Still have 3.5 years left on it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is neat. So what address do they send the tickets to? Just any address you verbally give them?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could probably get away with Barry O, 1600 Pennsyl.....

jbcarioca and Biu like this.
  8. You get away with it :)
    PP card used to be @ $25, but now its like $55. But a replacement is only $30

jbcarioca and Biu like this.
  9. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love your avatar.

jbcarioca and Pharaoh like this.
  10. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just don't let on to their frequent traveler program...

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly mine just has the original number it was issues with. Even worse is that 95% of my stamps are Canadian stamps. Kind of a sad set of souvenirs from playing 20 questions with CIC agents that still don't understand NAFTA or Canadian immigration law.

jbcarioca and piqaro like this.
  12. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had 48 and was able to add 36 extra pages in Seoul (2004). However, as you note, we can't add pages anymore.[​IMG] My NZL passport lasts for 5 years.

My Australian passport is also 48 pages (10 years)

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    My passport doesn't last 5 years (or 4.5 years when travelling to countries that require 6 months validity).

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Australia you get the choice of a Standard passport with 32-pages or a Frequent Traveller Passport which has 64-pages (both are 10-years).
    Alas, you can't add pages to an Aussie passport.

The Government has been discussing a National Identity card (kind of like the card discussed earlier in the thread) but I don't know if it will be able to replace a passport at borders etc. I think it's more a medicare/proof of age thing.

savydog, JALPak and piqaro like this.
  15. I am not sure about now, but when I got my current PP, the 48 page was possible on request in writing. I did that and they issued me a 24 page. There had been some problem where they lost my whole record with old and new PP, so I was just happy to have a PP for my trip at the time.

Now the issue I have is many customs folks outside the US pull and spindle my passport, cause they think it must be fake. I just pull out my PP card and they always give up.

jbcarioca and Wurm like this.
  16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The request for a 52-page (the correct number, sorry to be pedantic) U.S. passport is very hit and miss. On my three most recent renewals, I inserted the request for the larger-number option. In 1990 and 2000, I got the standard book, but on most recent renewal in 2009, I finally had success and got the 52-page book.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Its 32 pages in a normal PP and was a 52 page
    They eliminated it in July :(

jbcarioca and Wurm like this.
  18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update - although sad news, at least I won't be erroneously advising friends to ask for the 52-pager when they request their renewals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is valid as ID but not for travel outside of the WHTI zone, which is most of the world. If you're presenting that and being admitted to countries outside the WHTI those countries are doing it wrong.

I got my first set of extra pages in my current passport in August '09; the passport was 3.5 years old then. I've since filled half the new pages and will almost certainly need another set early next year.

jbcarioca and piqaro like this.
  20. It is a government issued ID. (In this Case, the US State Department) ID issued by a sovereign country is by convention, valid ID. Its not accepted at international border/immigration crossings requiring screening or certain purposes around the world, but I have never had an issue anywhere. WHTI or not, it is called a "Passport Card" for a reason. (Not NEXUS or SENTRI) Given it is not for International travel where a Passport Book would be required. A state drivers license on the other hand is a different story.

I can't say you are wrong, but i can say it works differently in real life

21. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somehow, I have a standard Aussie passport with 48 pages. I collected it in Riyadh, but I believe it came from Australia

22. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    trying to limit your travel I would guess, no paul hogan [​IMG]

jbcarioca and loadera like this.
  23. Yes they just raised the price, in the past it was no charge to add pages to your passport. My last one I had the Bangkok embassy add pages 4 times.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's directly from the State Department. Like I said, if the other countries choose to honor it then they can, but that's their choice, not what the DoS intended the card for. Similarly, if you were to present that to an airline agent s your credentials for travel they would be justified in denying you boarding for failure to have the correct travel documents.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just renewed and stupidly forgot to ask them to provide the extra pages initially. So like my old one at some point i'll have to add pages to my new one.

jbcarioca likes this.