How many free resort nights will you not use?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Misplaced Texan, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just realized that I have three free resort nights that are going to go unused.

This is not a whinging thread. Totally my choice not to use them as I just have better things to do with my time and money than to try to squeeze one more leisure trip in.

But, I'm interested if others find themselves in a similar situation of having earned a bunch of these through business (or personal travel) only to find the end of the redemption period approaching and a number of days going unused.

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I hate when that happens.

uggboy and 2soonold like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always watch myself when it says "free". I do better with something like "points and cash". Right now I'm trying not to get too many "free days" with National.:D

4. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just barely managed to burn the last one on dec 19. It's not really the aspirational stay I envisioned as much as "well, I needed a hotel in charlotte anyway, and now that they count toward status qualification..."

But a free night is a free night!

uggboy likes this.
  5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've got 3 nights I won't use :(

I tried for the Westin Beaver Creek Resort/Spa in December, and nothing is open. It's a popular time of year and I tried to reserve too late. Can't find a time or place to get to before they expire :( oh well. Anyone heard of any extension love on these free resort nights? Or they just expire?

uggboy likes this.
  6. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    No extensions usually, and they just expire on Dec 21.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Steamboat still has openings through much of December, including weekends.

Jslo likes this.
  8. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip!

9. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Zero. Used all of mine...!

And remember that they count as status stays now as well...

10. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll wind up leaving one night on the table. I was able to spend a five nights in Honolulu in September so I'm still happy with the promotion though. I didn't think I was going to be able to use any of these nights but after I had some surgery I was able to take some time off.

11. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    used all of mine. Wish they were transferable!

alohastephen likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    they are, think about it.

13. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think i 'll lose one night, used up 5 so not too bad. Only regret is that i had to cancel my reservation at the St Regis in Puerto Rico thanks to a fire drill at work, that would have been a good trip.

14. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Humor a noob. I have Starpoints which can be transferred to family members at the same address or to airline programs, etc. I don't have free room nights. Are these nights you get for staying so many times a year and expire, distinct from Starpoints? I'm not familiar with them. Can someone please explain. Thx.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  15. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SPG Getaway Free offer is available exclusively for members of SPG, the award-winning loyalty program of Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Travelers who are not yet SPG members can join the award-winning loyalty program and register for the promotion instantly during any stay at a Starwood hotel or resort, or by visiting spg.com/getawayfree. SPG membership is free and guests can begin earning Starpoints starting with their first stay.

Like all SPG rewards, the "SPG Getaway Free" award is flexible and simple to redeem. Here's how it works: From May 1 through July 31, registered SPG members who stay three times at any of the more than 1000 Starwood hotels or resorts worldwide will earn one free Resort Night Award.

Award Nights can be redeemed at approximately 200 resorts worldwide - seven days a week - through December 21 with no blackout dates. Best of all, Getaway Free awards are combinable -- so the more frequently you stay, the more free nights you will earn to enjoy a long resort getaway.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only earned one, and won't be able to use it. :(

I also had a 25% off reward stay certificate earned in 2010 that expired earlier this year unused. In neither case did our travel plans take us someplace where either was usable.

17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, we earned only one, but will not use it, there is no location of " Resorts " near us or on places we travel or plan to travel!:(

18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The certificate // certificates will simply expire, no way will SPG extend them!:(

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earned 4, using them all next week at the St. Regis in Aspen, CO.

This promotion definitely works best when you had enough stays to earn at least a couple of nights, as "resort" locations aren't all over the place. For high-demand locations there was definitely a need to plan in advance. If you meet those requirements, it was a very nice promotion.
    Any luck finding dates that worked for you?

20. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using all of mine right now in Maui this week. Too bad it is raining quite a bit in Ka'nanpali at the moment. At least it is 76 degrees in December :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  21. jumpingfences

jumpingfences Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm giving up one of the four I earned.

22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We earned two, and redeemed them very happily at the Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan in early November. Loved the location of this property and really enjoyed our stay.

23. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed to use the last one in early december at the st. regis monarch, and the other ones at st. regis punta mita. was surprised (and the agent was too) that the monarch was available. :)