How many flights have you flown so far this year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by KrissyK90, Jun 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

How many flight segments have you flown from 1 January - 1 June 2014?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2014.
  1. 0-10

30.4%
  2. 11-20

21.7%
  3. 21-30

13.0%
  4. 31-40

4.3%
  5. 41-50

13.0%
  6. 50+

17.4%
  1. KrissyK90

KrissyK90 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just curious to see how many flight segments people have traveled from the beginning of the year to today, 1June. :)

Only reason why I really know this is because of my AA Gold status and the sweet Jet Lovers app. I'm at 43 thus far.

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why have the top category at 50+? Some people may have flown considerably more than that.

wrxmom, Flyer1976, Gargoyle and 4 others like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    what's your score :)

Flyer1976, ralfkrippner and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    *I'm surprised I have so many segments since nearly all my segments are 8 hours or more. This year so far I have had quite a few short connections and a half-dozen "scheduled charters" meaning flights that officially are not scheduled but in reality resemble scheduled flights. That's been a bit unusual for me since i'm mostly point-to-point long haul. Last year I made DL Diamond with eight segments and AA EXP with 10. Few seem to be responding so far, but I really feel sympathy for the lone >50 segment person.

anileze, ralfkrippner and kiwi like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, too low to admit. I'm having serious withdrawal.

jbcarioca, anileze and ralfkrippner like this.
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barely 50+, it has been a slow start to the year for me.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of my segments are also long. The 2014 YTD average segment is over 3000 miles despite the most commonly flown route being on 298 miles. Take out that route and the 2014 YTD average segment is about 6000 miles.

jbcarioca and anileze like this.
  8. Tiffany01

Tiffany01 Member

Status Points:
    Nice topic choice. clearly 0-10 is the modal class. 43 is a huge number for 6 month

jbcarioca and ralfkrippner like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only 48 for me, though 3 1 more tomorrow. :)

Edited to update the number; I rebooked a bunch of trips later in the month and scrapped a trip today which was made superfluous by the others.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  10. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between 20 and 30 for me this year. Rest of year will be a bit slower.

jbcarioca and anileze like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with you I'm at 94 Takeoffs and 94 Landings so far this year... I'm projecting a 400k BIS year with approximately 225 flights. ;)

kiwi, WilliamQ and jbcarioca like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    48 here. Regarding 50+ being a "low" choice...I think it's a relatively reasonable cutoff, or would be if you spaced out the bins more. Say 0-5, 5-20,20-50,50+.

KrissyK90 and jbcarioca like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is your target 10,000,000 lifetime miles?
    At a rate of 400,000 BIS miles a year, that will only take you 25 years to hit 10 million BIS miles :)
    For me, I would be so lucky if I could even make the million mark (on all the airlines I fly with which adds up to nothing)

jbcarioca and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

I'll pass on the 10MM BIS mark but I do want to take advantage of my flexibility to travel and to see new places while I can. :)

kiwi, jbcarioca and WilliamQ like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us who have reached that point and more wonder why we still are addicted to flying. More to the point, our families wonder why too.

The one part I do not understand is how people can stand all the short legs, so much so that they qualify Elite based on segments. That I could never do.

16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am taking a guess here but you must belong to the 10MM +++ club and I take it you mostly do long haul. :)
    Wonder what is the highest accumulated BIS (in a single program) record.
    However, while I do not speak as a MM flyer, I certainly understand the lure of flying even if it is in economy which is where I usually am.
    It is just something I enjoy doing but it is an expensive "hobby"

jbcarioca and xhunter33x like this.
  17. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only flown 15 segments, but have already secured Gold for next year and am working on Platinum. If you purchase FC or BC seat you will have no problem qualifying, This weekend I went to Trinidad (horrible, horrible mistake), but that one RT upped my AA balance of YTDQP by 28,000....and my blood pressure immeasurably. You will have no problem zipping past Gold before you know it! Take care!

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting point. As a child, I loved making as many changes of planes as possible. Now, a double connection is almost enough to bring me to tears. (this last weekend it did)

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The longest BIS single RT (i.e. two segments) I have had was SIN-EWR-SIN for a 19040 mile BIS and 47,600 miles credited. That was the former all Business Class SQ flight that was the longest nonstop in the world for some time.
    For a single record mine was a long time ago: SAH-CAI-ZRH-SIN-NRT-PEK-HKG-JFK-ATH-RUH-SAH. There were a couple of technical stops but I do not remember them. That record was more than 22,000 BIS.
    You're correct I have flown mostly long haul all my life. I had more than 5mm BIS on both SR and PA before they went out of business, and now am over 8mm with AA and over a million with several others.
    I'm confident somebody probably has a higher single record BIS, and maybe even I did if I could calculate the BIS for the old PA RTW flights which I took numerous times and for the several RTW fares I have had when RTW was cheaper than a RT to my destination, which happens almost every time these days when I go GIG-China, for example. Quite a few of us do that at least once or twice a year IIRC from some other thread.

kiwi and Flyer1976 like this.
  20. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That app is better goes where FlightMemory had yet to, bravo for this great app! It's also integrated with FourSquare which is great.