How many different currencies are in your wallet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a thread recently asking how much money you carry in your wallet, but I think the more interesting question is how many different currencies. At the moment, I am carrying six:

US$,
    Japanese yen,
    Chinese yuan,
    Hong Kong dollar,
    Singapore dollar, and
    Euro.

I probably also have a few Indonesian coins floating around on me from a previous side trip to Bali.

The total amount in cash is more than I would prefer, but I don't like to arrive somewhere without enough cash for a taxi to my hotel and walking around money until the next business day. I also don't like to change money back ever, certainly not unless I am confident that I will not be returning to that country for at least several years.

2. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two - USD$ & Chinese Yuan (leftover from last weeks trip)

3. abdulai
    Original Member

abdulai Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Dollars
    Euros
    Danish Kroner

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Dollar.

All-American! oh yeahhhh

5. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one in my wallet right now, but 14 envelopes on the shelf waiting for the next trip. A few of them have pre-Euro EU currencies: francs, lire and guilders. Any ideas what to do with them now? (The rest are, at least potentially, useful.)

MSPeconomist and thegrailer like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I have even more envelopes with foreign bills and coins and a few travellers' checks in Euros (which I found surprisingly useful in southern France). I also have some stray coins and currency from before the Euro.

If you got it from AmEx at some point, it used to be able to have them convert it to dollars for you, but I don't know whether they still provide this service. Also in the past, there was an office of the Banque de France on the right bank in Paris where you could exchange old FF notes for Euros during very restricted hours (IIRC Wednesday early afternoon), but I don't know whether this option still exists.

You could probably donate it to charity in one of the airport foreign money drop boxes. I've also seen these in a few hotels, primarily around the holidays (for example, the Imperial in Tokyo). For the old coins, I guess we need to find some good fountains.

Please let me offer a belated welcome to MP.

7. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    None! I almost never use cash these days. I carry around an emergency $20, but I used it a week or so ago and haven't replaced it. I am restricted to the confines of a boat while I work, so I don't even have a need for money half the time, lol.

However, I used to do a lot more international travel a few years ago. Worked on ships instead of a harbor tug, plus I just traveled more. I've got a large picture frame with a bill of random value from a lot of the countries I've been to. My collection outgrew the frame after a while and now I've just got a box with bills and coins from all over the place. There must be hundreds of dollars worth of currency in them, lol. I know some of it's worthless (or nearly) because of the Euro changeover. I like to flip it open every once in a while to relive memories. :)

I quit this job next month and soon after I'll be back to travelling! First stop is Costa Rica. Gonna make sure to save me some colons.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One, USD. I generally take foreign currency out of the wallet after boarding the flight departing the country. I hate having a fat wallet. Like others, I have a stack of envelopes with foreign currency bills for future returns. And lots of those orange plastic pharmacy pill containers with coins.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three: Euros, Sterling and Dollars.

Though I actually have 2 wallets with me. I tend to have one with my home currency and cards etc in and one with the currency of where I'm staying at the moment (In this case Italy) and the cards that I will use there. Being female has it's advantages as I have a handbag to carry these things in. My sterling wallet generally also contains about 50 bucks for emergency use where ever I am in the world.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually have Danish Kroner, UK Pounds, Euros, and US Dollars, but usually keep the ones I'm not using at the time in the dresser drawer.

For legacy eurozone currencies, I believe that you can mail them to the respective national banks and they will exchange them for euros. Here are some links:

http://www.dnb.nl/en/payments/exchanging-guilders/how-to-exchange-guilders/
    http://ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article382

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are we talking Exchange-Run to france here? :D
    Guess it depends on the amount, if you have a lot, banque de france will exchange FF (notes) to EUR until FEB2012, if you only have some then go for charity. If they're old mint-condition notes then maybe you'll make some collectors on e-bay very happy :)

I've got NOK, USD, EUR and Swiss francs in my wallet (funny how they show up when you get home, even though you really made an effort to spend every last cent before you left the country)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an envelope in my drawer with 33 currencies in small denominations ranging from Chadian francs to a Deutschmark 5DM

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just $$ and I rarely carry cash

I have a change purse I sue when traveling, it currently contains pounds, euros and Swiss francs.

14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor do I.

I usually carry around $US, Thai Baht and Cambodian Riel. If I'm going somewhere out of this region I'll carry that currency. On a recent trip I had the above three as well as HKD and Korean Won.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My envelopes are in my desk but my change jars are on the shelf. not much in the way of pre-Euro though.

16. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dominican pesos
    Euros
    US Dollars

17. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Japan only one (of course yen)
    But when I travel aside from the local currency I carry a store of JPY, USD and EUR.
    There's been times when the hotel I visited wouldn't change JPY so it was good I had some other currencies oh hand.

18. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now USD, AUD, SGD, MYR, Thai Baht and Indonesian Rupeis. .... oh and a lonely Euro note for emergency use.

19. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently; USD $2.00, HK dollar, AU dollar, Canadian dollar, Euro, Thai Baht, MYR, SGD, CR Colon, Yen, Wuan, UK Pound, and for fun 5 Ire punt and 1000 Lire.

20. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    AU$ (I'm an Aussie :p)
    US$
    UK pounds
    a few Euro
    a decent chunk of HK$ coins
    a few RMB
    a whole heap of DKK (having a nightmare changing that...)
    a whole heap of Russian money (I don't know the name for it... I've never been there and not sure how I managed to commandeer it!)
    a few Canadian dollars and a few Singapore dollars are also floating around I think
    (I hope that's is :/)

21. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 11 cents US coins.

I keep all other currencies in small zip-lock bags and pull them out for specific trips, then return them to the box. Can't imagine carrying it all in one wallet, although I did see a FTer who just had a filing cabinet in her billfold. Well organized, 6-7 currencies, pretty heft amount of each.

22. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a separate wallet for when I travel - it has multiple bill slots so I can keep my currencies separate. It's got euros, pounds and Swiss francs in it now - currency I don't use as often is in a drawer.