How long to claim?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by cc1972, Sep 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering how long I should have to make a claim after my suitcase lost a wheel on a flight from IST to GVA on TK this summer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would you delay? Do it now.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why you waited so long in the first place?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why did I wait?
    I was transferring in GVA on my way from IST to YUL when I noticed the missing wheel. I didn't have time to take care of that at the time and when I got to YUL, I had to take care of my two young children (alone with them), so luggage wasn't a priority. Then, we left YUL and drove 7 hours to my parents' place and the wheel sort of wasn't in my mind at the time.

Why don't I do it now?
    That's a wonderful idea. So, how should I proceed? Any hints about that? I only claimed for something twice before and those two times I was still at the airport.

jbcarioca and mirohacek like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IDGflygirl, mirohacek and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not worth a try or lost nerves... you will get nowhere with TK ground services... forget about it and move on...

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe, maybe not. I did hear (actually "read") about people complaining about TK, but I've had good service from them... so far. I had a problem with a suitcase when I got to IST this year (broken handle), and they gave me a brand new one without any argument. Of course, it most likely wasn't the best quality, but still it served its purpose. Now, not being at the airport and so long after the incident, maybe it's pointless to try anything, but I may try my luck anyway just in case.

8. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go ahead and try! The worst they can do is say "no." Just don't put too much time or energy into it if it's clear you're getting nowhere.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many airlines officially require that lost or damaged luggage be reported within 24 hours for domestic flights and 7 days for international. However, if you didn't notice the damage earlier, try anyway.

It's also typical that an airline declines to accept responsibility for damage to luggage wheels, handles, straps, etc. Yet they may do something as good customer service, especially for their elites or passengers with expensive tickets.

bigx0 and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    TK has the 7 days rule AFAIK. If you didn't bother claiming it earlier, I guess it's not that high priority anyway. I have 3 kids under 8, and when I had to file a claim at the airport they waited. It was not easy because they were tired after 2 legs with a total of 15 hours of flying + transit.

Of course there is no harm in trying since it won't cost you anything but I would say the chance is very slim that you get anything.

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To their credit, TK actually lists wheels as reportable damage. Not that they necessarily do anything with the report but at least they don't immediately disclaim responsibility.

12. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to agree with the "don't waste your time" crowd. It has nothing to do with Turkish, but it has been so long that anything could have happened to the bag in the meantime. I'm sure the damage was caused by the airline, but they shouldn't be expected to pay for such damage so long after the fact. On the flipside, hopefully a local luggage store can repair the damage for a reasonable cost.

Best of luck!
    Chris