How Long Should One Wait Before Applying For Another Card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by IberianNomad, Jun 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I've just been offered the Marriott Visa Signature Card with a 70K bonus points sign up offer. If accepted that would put me close to 120K points,highly useful considering I'm visiting Europe this summer. Only problem is I applied and was approved for the CSP Feb of this year. Will applying for the Marriott this soon considerably damage my credit score or I'm in the clear to apply for Marriott?

Thank you!

boondr likes this.
  2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll be fine, provided there aren't any unmentioned red flags in your CR. Do you have enough of a credit limit on the CSP to split up and leave >$5k on both? If so, with Chase it is almost a lock that you'll be approved through reconsideration if not immediately.

Once again that is all contingent on no unmentioned red flags in your credit report.

3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of people get cards from the same bank every 90 days. You should be fine in terms of applying for it, though you might not get an "instant approval". The ding to credit score is minimal from the inquiry, regardless of the time frame between applications. If your only other Chase card is a CSP, you have a good score and good credit history, and don't have a ton of other cards, then you may just get another instant approval. There are people with solid scores and 20+ open credit cards, but a lot varies on income, relationship with the bank, credit history, etc.

boondr likes this.
  4. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Looks like I'll give it a shot though I keep hearing Marriott's reward program isn't as enticing...As for any red flags, I shouldn't have any and my credit should be pretty solid (still).

Thanks again!

rockyrock likes this.
  5. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like my Marriott Premier Card; every year I question whether or not it's worth renewing and always end up keeping it. The free night cert essentially covers the AF. I have also found Marriott to have superior customer service, over the phone. As I've learned from others here YMMV.

If you are considering any other cards you may want to apply for them the same day so the HP doesn't impact your chances of getting the lowest APR and highest CL.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Aloha

6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my Marriott Visa last September after having it 5 years because the annual fee wasn't worth it to me given that I have the Sapphire. A few months later, Chase started sending me emails offering a 70K bonus if it get the Marriott (again!)

7. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Are you signing up again?

8. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Applied online today and was instantly approved. I'll let everyone one know when the 70K points post along with the free nights.

Shame I can't use the card on this weekend trip since I'll be staying at a Marriott Property.