How long should I keep on earning American Airlines points until the merger is complete

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kevindavis338, Jul 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kevindavis338

kevindavis338 Active Member

Status Points:
    Question, I happen to have US Airways and American Airlines points and they both won't expire until 2016. When should I stop earning American Airline points or should I continue to earn American Airline points?

Thanks...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    AAdvantage will be the surviving program. Points earned in both will all be AAdvantage miles at some point, likely mid-2015. In the interim, since there are some reasons it's beneficial to have both, it's a good strategy to keep a balance on both sides.

3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any word on when Barclay will convert my US Airways card to American and what those card benefits will entail? Im curious if they are the same or how they compare to Citi's American card benefits.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    From: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....merican-aadvantage-barclaycard-2015-benefits/

"So basically Barclaycard will be eliminating:
    • The companion certificate
    • The ability to earn 10,000 PQMs by spending $25,000 on the card
    • The US Airways Club day pass and membership discount
    • First class check-in
    But in turn, the following benefits will be added, which more or less align with the Citi AAdvantage Card:
    • 25% off in-flight food and beverage purchases (really not a big deal)
    • $100 flight discount ($100 discount for spending $30,000 is hardly worth a mention)
    • 10% mileage refund on award redemptions"
    IMHV, this is a pretty crappy trade-off! Lucky even states that the first two benefits of the Citi Aadvantage Card are "not really a big deal", and "hardly worth a mention". Agreed!

jbcarioca, Counsellor and MX like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those who seem unaware including presumably the all-knowing bloggers the Citi Advantage card is offering two AC day passes for a specific spend over 75 days?? seems to vary according the cardholder( mine was $600.00, wife $ 500)
    and for what over ten/twelve years??? there has been a Citi membership discount for renewing your AC membership and double that for new members.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, there's another thread on it here. For $600 in spend, if you can use the AC passes it's a good deal. For folks who got higher minimum spend amounts, you may get more value putting that spend elsewhere. That being said, it's nice to see Citi trying different things to drive customer behavior. Are you and your wife regular users of that card now?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually don't use my Citi AA card that much unless there is promo or at I-dine places (plus the AC club discount just about covers the annual fee) and in any event I have a regular AC membership.
    My wife uses hers a lot more for those places that doesn't take her Amexs ( SPG or Surpass)
    I believe for those do no not fly AA too regularly its a useful bonus however I am surprised they hadn't provided that benefit before if only to complete with the UAL Chase card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Based on some conversations I had, when Citi and AA had their recent negotiation to essentially kick out AMEX, there was a lot of attention paid to the Citi Exec card. When that card was created a few years ago there was a big push to get folks to sign up. More recently, I believe that the negotiation making Citi "exclusive" (Barclay still floating around but likely leaving next year) again emphasized the Citi Exec card (100K offers for everyone).

With all that attention, my guess is the regular Citi AAdvantage card didn't get much attention, especially since it didn't have to compete with AMEX any longer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. kevindavis338

kevindavis338 Active Member

Status Points:
    Well my current AAdvantage won't expire until 2016.. Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which Amex card did the Citi AAdvantage card compete with? I once had a Citi-issued Amex AAdvantage card, but I assume that's not what you are referring to.

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Compete was prob wrong word to use. Just meant to say that there was no longer an AMEX for ppl to choose from and that might lead Citi to promote their only entry level card a bit less.