How long is the fund hold for incidental charges being taken out from the credit card?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by SQ LPP, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was staying at the Intercontinental Hotel San Francisco, May 2, 2011. I used points for the stay. When I checked-in, as always, the staff asking for credit card authorization for any incidental charges during the stay.
    My question is, how long the hotel will remove the authorization fund which reduces my credit availability in my credit card? As of today, almost 4 weeks, this holding fund had not been released yet.
    Thank you.

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience it has only been a couple of days. 4 weeks seems a bit excessive...

uggboy and SQ LPP like this.
  3. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 I had 2 separate award stays on Thursday & Friday and had 2 $75 holds put on my card. The first one was cleared yesterday and I expect the second to clear today.

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the quick answer. Yes, I thought it should be for couple of days, not weeks. I had sent an e-mail to Ambassador customer service May 16, who then sent the request to the hotel on May 17. But, the hotel seemed overlooked her request about my credit card pre-authorization. Just sent another e-mail to Ambassador customer service. Hope it would get solved soon.

uggboy likes this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what kind of credit card your using but I would think after 4 weeks the Card company would remove it for you. If you called and explained the situation to them.

6. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, after e-mailing back and forth, at last the fund on hold had been removed.
    At first, the IC SFO said that the fund on hold was released immediately after I settled the bill when checking out. I sent the copy of on-line credit card showing the hold. Then, they were not sure about the amount because they only hold for $100. Of course, I have to explain that my credit card is not US $ based (I live not in the US. :) )
    Anyhow, now everything is good. A pain but glad it solved now.
    Cheers!

uggboy likes this.
  7. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered 3 holds (one IC SFO free stay and two Radisson Big Nights) stuck on my credit card as well. Did a google search and FT and MP were the first two results. :) Anyway, it's been approx 10 days since check-out. Irksome.

uggboy likes this.
  8. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since a year ago from my post here, every time I stay at IC on award, my CC would have a holding amount for a month before got cleared. If I am on a paid stay, and I settled the bill when checking out, I would not find any hold fund.
    Twice, I decided to use cash as the deposit for my one night stay, and I had $50 hold on my credit card on file for a month. :)

uggboy and snap like this.
  9. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I'll post again when they drop.

uggboy likes this.