How long have you been traveling? How often?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DAS02135, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Milepointers have such a wealth of knowledge, and it makes me curious about how much they travel and how long they've been doing it.

I'm in my 20s and am pretty new to this. I've been traveling for work for the past two years and am around 20-30% travel. On the one hand, I like that level because travel still often seems fun. On the other hand, I at times get stir crazy and a bit jealous about the cool trips others are able to go on using their status points.

And, bringing it back to MilePoint, that's why I love the insights shared by folks. I get to benefit by everyone else's experiences, tips, and finds to really maximize my travel!

torbster, Travelgirl, savydog and 3 others like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I quit my job 3.5 years ago and came to Asia. Been traveling all over since, but now, alas.... Anyone have a job for me?

3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been traveling for my work a little over 12 years. Usually spend about 50% of my nights per year in hotels. Never gets old to me. In fact I find myself getting a sick kind of entertainment watching other people getting overly frustrated about uncontrolable things like weather delays at airports. I also enjoy observing gate lice. Not sure why, but it seems to entertian me and make time at the gate pass faster.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    11 years 150K per year -- and a very sore butt!

torbster, savydog, k2o and 1 other person like this.
  5. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are gate lice?

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad affliction you see around you when you have status when boarding :)

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was traveling for 2.5 years working as a traveling technician and am also in my 20's. Currently in between jobs, but hoping to find a new job that will continue to let me travel, or at least give me the income to travel on my own dime.

k2o, Jumping Jehosaphat and Tenmoc like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When I was 10 years old I got a free gas station map of the United States (anyone remember those maps?), took a crayon, and colored in every state I'd set foot in.

I was able to color in 40 states.

9. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still on my first quarter million BIS. Been game to travel my entire life but got the means, time and money, to actively pursue it about 4 years ago. Each year gets more and more insane and memorable.

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always been travelling, but my flight memory has flights from the past 7 years or so when it has been particularly heavy.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since infancy, and like Gargoyle, my parents claimed that I had visited most states--I forget the exact number--by age 9. Serious business travel began about a third of a century ago (when I was still an infant!), starting at about 50K per year and increasing to over 250K MQM on DL last year plus four SQ award tickets. Even I am shocked by these numbers as I had been doing 75-100K per year for a while, although I made charter DM (125K) effortlessly last year.

12. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who likes to travel. I don't think I travel enough as the rest of the crowd on this site. However, I do find myself travel about 75K+ MQM every year. There is so many places I want to go and visit. [​IMG]

13. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel almost solely for pleasure, with two or three business trips a year. I've been DL silver for (I think) six years now and travel just enough to keep that, plus a little more.

Jumping Jehosaphat and Tenmoc like this.
  14. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a really cool website! I'm signing up.

I wish my dad had something like this when he started flying. He's been traveling for at least 30 years and has well over 2 million butt-in-seat miles.

Jumping Jehosaphat and Tenmoc like this.
  15. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost since birth. My folks took me from TX to WA on a TWA(?) Constellation before I can remember. Then around the world as an Army brat, then 20 years in the US Navy, did some more traveling/flying. Now I commute between AK and PA every two weeks, along with pleasure trips, but just got seriously into the status thing and mile accumulation about 1 1/2 years ago. I wish I had done it at least 15 years ago !

16. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelling loosely over the past 30 years, but... extensively for the last 10. I do about 200 EQM a year, though this year I'll be at 100 EQM by the end of March. My flight memory is pretty much up to date.

17. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been travelling since I was 10months old (I turn 21 in April).
    Obsessed with travelling domestically or internationally.
    I think I will go insane if my job doesn't involve travel in some way!!!

18. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    About one vacation a year when working. Since retirement a few years ago, 7-8 trips a year, now setting down to 3-4 trips/yr. MR's have brought us enough miles for trips for awhile , so only just a small amount of EQM a year.

19. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only started flying in 2006 and quickly got hooked... Lately I started combining awards with cheapo LLC fares and have done a few 13, 15 and 16 segments trips in a short period of time.

20. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since 1981 with the start up of "American Advantage"! Had been on very few flights until that point, but with the receipt of the first "bonus ticket", began an addiction.
    Our daughter was a gold card by the time she was 2 and a UA 1K member about the same time. Our son received his first status a bit later as my traveling slowed down with 2, that is until they were both walking. They learned to read on planes. It was amazing what bright kids they were going into kindergarten after all that quality one on one time! Once every couple weeks I set up an assembly line making goodie bags to entertain the kids in flight. Usually a new book, stickers, marker in a new color, something to color (couple pages of a coloring book did the trick), juice boxes as kids aren't always patient enough to wait, those gummy fruit things and then fruit or crunchy veg. added the night before flights. It was great fun. Took the kids to virtually every recognized science museum and zoo while mid way through mileage runs. Unique childhood memories for sure!
    At this point we've been to all but 3 states and to 24 countries. Hooked! Truth be told jobs are the only thing holding us back as none of us travel for work! (Didn't work when kids were little, thus lots of time to flY!)

Sarah, savydog, Freddie Listo and 2 others like this.
  21. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Put it this way, I remember flying the old PSA Lockheed Constellations.

22. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always wanted to travel, which I blame on my desire to leave my hometown asap. The first major trip I took was a roadtrip through the northeast and Canada my junior year of college.
    My first plane trip was my sophmore year (and first time across the Mississippi) to South Dakota to visit relatives for Thanksgiving on the now defunked TWA.

23. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always wanted to travel...did a little then hubby/kids/fam/job came along...then divorce came and I'm FREE ([​IMG]) to travel . Found frugaltravelguy and his tips which led me to FT and now I'm having so much fun! My 1st trip to Asia is coming up...can't wait.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  24. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    27 now, Got my first passport stamp a 3 months and first TATL at 6 months. First TPAC at 2 years. Military Father and lived in England when I was young and South Korea in High School. Since then my parents lived in Italy and Turkey while I was in college. Needless to say there was a lot of vacation traveling and back and forth to the US. I have been working in Nigeria the past two plus years and that is when I entered the game. I get 21 days vacation after 56 days worked. I travel wherever I want to: so far since Jan 09, I have been to Bamburg/Munich Germany(Oktoberfest) and Amsterdam, Turkey, Melbourne/Sydney/Queensland Australia, CapeTown/Pretoria/Durban, South Africa (Once for the world cup and again just in January), Zimbabwe/Zambia/Botswana for Victoria Falls, Columbia for the beach.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  25. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was young, living in the woods of northern Michigan, my mom bought a used atlas from a library sale. I went through it and circled places;I still have that atlas. "This book belongs to Christine, age 7." I had wanderlust then and didn't even know what it was. Did around 300K miles flown last year. Traveling since 1982.