How long does it take to get a response to a complaint?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lyssa, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I went through AA's website on the contact page and used the online form to send in a complaint about some extremely poor service on a recent flight. I checked the box that said I would like to get a reply. This was over a week ago and still no reply.

My question is, how long does it normally take to get a reply? And did I go through the correct place? Would it have been better to send an email from my account? If so, I wouldn't know where to send it to.

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about AA specifically, but a week isn't unusual. With most carriers, higher status FFs get faster responses, so your elite status should influence your expectations.

Lyssa likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should probably get a response sometime in the next day or two. Keep in mind they might be backlogged/overwhelmed with Hurricane Irene issues for the time being.

Lyssa likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had sent in an inquiry regarding the status of my Plat card -- it had been over 2 months since I qualified -- it took about 1.5 weeks to get a response.

Lyssa likes this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should get a response in about a week that says they will investigate and will get back to you in 4-6 weeks.

Lyssa likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related note... I had to send in a complaint for lost baggage, got a lame response but a promise for some sort of voucher but have yet to receive anything... its been over 6 weeks....

Lyssa likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I complained about an overnight flight delay in the spring and it took a good two weeks to hear anything from AA. I'd just wait another week or two and see if you don't hear back from them.

Lyssa likes this.
  8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last April, I sent a very complimentary letter (via the website) praising the actions of a cabin crew who performed very well when our plane was struck by hail as we approached DFW. I asked for a reply, so that I would know that the message was received and that the letter would be placed in their files. Still waiting. ;)

Lyssa likes this.
  9. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I complained about faulty IFE last October and had bonus miles in my account three hours later: guess I was lucky :D

(no status either)

Lyssa likes this.
  10. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is lucky. I don't have any status either. Still haven't heard anything, but at least now I know that's not unusual. I thought I would have at least gotten an automated response saying I would get a response later. I guess I will wait another week or two and then if nothing I will try again.

11. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, now it's been a couple of months and still no response. I kind of forgot about it for a while. I've tried to call and apparently you can't contact customer service over the phone. This is such a joke.

12. duxflyer

duxflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what is going on with AA online customer service center. I have submitted a complaint regarding one of my recent trip back in September, after many delays I missed my class reunion. After a month, I still have not received a response from AA. I am an Executive Platinum on AA. Wow! What a disappointment.

13. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and it's frustrating that you can't contact customer service through the phone. It's pretty cunning, you can email them and complain, but it just goes into a black hole and there is nothing you can do about it.

14. olderguy68

olderguy68 New Member

Status Points:
    In Feb this year AA "lost" our first class reservations from Punta Cana to Charlotte and not acknowleged the confirmed printout from their website showing our reservations. Did get on the flight but the gate clerk assured us of first class however she lied and gave us seats in coach. Much more wrong on our trip but too long to tell. Wrote a detailed complaint a week ago but have herd nothing.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ping me if you haven't heard back a week from now and I'll reach out to our contacts at AA on your behalf.

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a broken J seat a couple of weeks ago from MIA-DFW. Wrote in a complaint, as it really made for an uncomfortable trip.

My complaint included a request of the SWU I had used for the single segment of a 2 segment itinerary. They replied within hours with 7500 bonus miles and said they had referred it to AAdvantage account servicing regarding the SWU. Still no reply from AAdvantage regarding the SWU.

17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You really used a swu to ug mia-dfw? Oh my

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing out my error. Not that it's hugely different, but it was actually MIA-MDE.

This was the first time I have ever seen SWUs available into/out of MDE, and it's not a cheap destination. This was a very short trip where I flew up to Texas simply to vote in the primary. Cutting the cost was important to me, and I'm usually struggling to find uses for my SWUs by the end of the year. The DFW-MIA segment was waitlisted, but even though it didn't clear, I had a J seat minus the J service on a 777-200.

DFW-MIA-MDE is more than I can take in Y, thus the decision. I needed to arrive in MDE rested, and with only 8 J seats on the A319, a CPU is no guarantee. The broken seat caused me to arrive less than rested, but I'm still hoping to get the SWU back. Using it saved me hundreds of dollars at the time of my booking.

19. thecrow

thecrow New Member

Status Points:
    I complained about being seated next to someone who was homeless and they told me to take a hike.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good.

tommy777 likes this.