How long can you go without traveling before you get antsy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DAS02135, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't traveled in almost 40 days, and I am getting really antsy.

I may need an intervention. Even though I will be traveling almost every week starting in mid-March through at least early May and thus know I'll be getting a fix soon, I keep looking at airfare sites to try to find cheap weekend trips. I've probably spent 4-8 hours in the past couple weeks putting together potential trips plans.

2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be 65ish days between flights for me. I was antsy about it for a while as it was such an ingrained behavior. But, I must say the overall quality of life, wonderful time with my family and resting heart rate and BP have all improved.

travelingmore, tw116 and Pharaoh like this.
  3. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heck, I get antsy if I haven't planned a trip within about 60 days of getting back from somewhere. But I had better be off (talking leisure here, not business) at least once a quarter.

tw116 likes this.
  4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I also tend to get antsy after about 2 months of not travelling. Although I can alleviate some of that antsyiness by booking something in the near future which gives me something to look forward to.

sagefemme52 likes this.
  5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not been on a plane since last summer. I was unemployed for a bit and the new job does not require travel other than drive sites not to mention significantly less money. Hoping to work in a trip before summer arrives.

6. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    For this post, I will set "travel" as being farther than 250 miles from home.
    From 1989 till 2002, I never travelled. I had many happy and many very productive years during that period .
    On a website like this, It is easy to believe that personal happiness depends on travel; but I do not believe that is necessarily true. I have found the same peace on a two lane highway in rural Arizona, as I have on a two lane highway in my homestate of Georgia.
    And, when I get to my golden years of retirement I'll not be looking for travel; I'll be looking for peace.;)

7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 wks is about my threshold. I've gone plenty longer between trips, but I can get cranky and difficult to be around. The one thing that takes the edge off is at least planning a trip and sort of tricking my own mind.

kwai likes this.
  8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm pretty cranky and difficult to be around most any day![​IMG]

flyingdawg likes this.
  9. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Leisure traveller here so about 6 months is my max. I like to travel in April/May and Sept/Oct to take advantage of the off season but still nice weather in most places

Junca and savydog like this.
  10. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I start getting restless after about 2-3 weeks, although I frequently go longer than that between trips. 2-3 months and I'm going crazy.

11. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 weeks. Any longer than that and I am missing work/money or family time at home, depending. I can go as long as 3 months without leisure flying as long as I can drive to NYC, Atlantic City, or someplace interesting.

12. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For vacations, 8 weeks is a good time. Last year it was 9 months due to Saudi visa issues. After my next trip in mid-April, I will have to wait until mid-August

savydog likes this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 or 3 days. By a week I get really crotchety (more than usual).

14. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    7-10 days. By 14 days, I'm climbing the walls....

diver90 and kwai like this.
  15. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to have 2 big trips planned a year and then 2 other smaller ones as 3 or 4 day long weekends. As one trip is completed, I start giving serious thought to the destination, points needed and accommodation available for a new one.

Last year I went to the shanghai expo, had a short break in brisbane and went to see Yusuf (Cat Stevens) in concert. Late last year I went to Singapore and Bali and just at the start of this month, I went to see Australia and England play cricket.

The Brisbane trips were only 1 hour flights, but I do have my fix booking flights, accommodation and tickets so all good. Went to Sydney for Simon and Garfunkel a few years back and also Melbourne a few times for eating and shopping.

Next up at the end of May is Vietnam and Cambodia and I am ready to plan another short break in August. With at least something coming up every three months I can cruise along, I do notice that last month though that I would rather be flying than working [​IMG]

Tiki and Sarah like this.
  16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to have about a dozen trips booked up in advance. My record is over 200 flights booked but untraveled at once.

17. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that is a dedicated traveller [​IMG]

kwai likes this.
  18. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    About a month.....but I always have at least one e-ticket in my inbox...

19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two weeks at home and I get antsy. I hate paying the $25 departure fee each time I leave PNH, but it's better than staying longer

This year I've entered Cambodia 3x, Thailand 3x and will add another 5-7 stamps by mid-March.

20. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems funny that the common time period for most folks is about 2-weeks. Which is the same for me as well. I've got 5 long haul trips planned between now and the end of April 2011.

21. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree that not everyone's happiness is dependent on travel ... but for some people it is. I don't travel nearly as much as many on this site, but I do domestic-only for work from 3-6 times a year and in the last few years have been taking two vacation trips internationally (up from 1 trip/year, up from 1 every few years) ... plus I do a few short domestic trips for vacation --- family and friends, flying and not flying.

But I have to say, I am not happy if I don't have something planned or as a possibility to see another part of the world every year. It is just how I am. And I know someday maybe I won't have the time, money, or be in the situation that will allow me to take advantage of possibilities, so I do it while I can. My family though, and many friends, have absolutely no desire to go to the places I go to, or think that I am really bold and adventurous or something (HA! I think. I am nothing compared to many on MP). They are very happy not traveling and I am no judge of that (... and to be fair, I am the blacksheep of the family :D). If they are interested in the places I've been, we'll sit down and look at photos and talk about it. If not, I don't bring it up. Easy co-existence.

oh - I should caveat that I have seen alot of the US too, as I moved around early in my career. So, isn't as though I've been ignoring the fab things in this Country too.

Sarah and 2soonold like this.
  22. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your post. I "liked" it as a courtsey.
    It's a balance,IMHO. I learned that watching my mother in her final years in the nursing home. Before then, I never took my "travels" seriously. So, I finally agree that it is best to try to do it while one is still able and still has the passion for it.

kiwi and Junca like this.
  23. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's seasonal for me. I couldn't imagine leaving Seattle from May to September for any period of time because of the gardening season, the long days, the lilacs, blah, blah...even October has some things worth staying around for. November -March I escape as much as humanly possible. Every 10 days for work or leisure trips is average.

travelingmore and 2soonold like this.
  24. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Having aging parents I can most certainly see my travels being curtailed in the future. And I'm okay with that. I want to be around if things get tough for them. Having the travel "itch" really is kind of an odd thing. I have no idea why I desire to be "gone". And being thrown into a totally different culture makes it all the better. Some Psychiatrist should have looked at that at some point?[​IMG]

25. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in Atlanta[​IMG], and winter(evil) is the season I most do not want to travel.