How long before status level filters through the Star Alliance?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by enichols22124, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I'm was Silver Elite on US Airways, but I just made Gold this past Sunday. This week, on Thursday, I am flying on United. How long before my Gold status filters from US Airways, through Star Alliance, and is recognized by United. I ask since I will be needing to carry some extra baggage and have a companion. As a Silver Alliance Member, it would be 1 free checked bag on United, but with Gold Alliance it's priority access, priority boarding, and 3 bags free. So, it has value for me to see that that Elite status is recognized. Also, booked the ticket through US Airways, so this is a codeshare with United, I don't know if that makes anything like this happen faster or not. Any thoughts? Is there anything that I can do that might help here? Any advantages to going in person to the airport to ensure that status is recognized? Or can the Star Alliance be called?

Thanks for any advice.

2. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Just as a followup, it definitely takes some time. Even on my return flight from Denver yesterday (7 days later), I still wasn't recognized as a Gold Alliance member by the United system. And (this is just like the last time), a printout from US Airways showing Gold did not matter (I walked over to get it and walked it back to the United Premier counter). Ah well. At least US Airways system credited me my bonus miles correctly! :)

3. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an analogous issue come up when I was flying U.S. Airways (no status) and TK bumped me to *Gold. I removed the TK FF# from my US reservation and then put it back minutes later. When I put it back, I guess US's system queried TK to find out if I was elite. Tada, immediate STAR GOLD on my reservation.

I suggest you do something similar and see if it updates. Cheers.

8MiHi, Sunshine7 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Hey! Now that's a great idea. I will try it and it makes a lot of sense!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Another Followup,

So this is about 3 weeks later, and the United system still shows Silver as I get ready to board in a few hours. I tried the trick of removing the FF#, I even entered a different number for a day, then re-registered the number, and it still shows up as Silver. I guess it must take a month to filter through.

Sunshine7 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took only a few days when I made *G with AC. I had the gate agent on my next United flight remove and add the number and re-print the boarding pass.

8MiHi and jbcarioca like this.
  7. enichols22124

Status Points:
    I removed and added it a few times over the course of days without any change. The Premier desk said that they would change it *if* I had a Gold card that I could show them, but that a printout from the US Airways desk was not acceptable. Just came back from a flight from Vegas this week on US Airways, so I didn't have to worry about it, and was upgraded to First for the last half of the trip (yay!).

8MiHi, Sunshine7 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same; how long does it take for other *A carriers to see one's gold status. Further, let's say I log into United or Lufthansa; and I got my Gold via USAir early November; can I verify my gold status on United or Lufthansa's websites?? I haven't seen this anywhere if so.

Also, I'm flying next week and want to use my gold status to access LH lounges, but no actual card yet. Reading this, I don't think they'll accept the paper "temporary card" printout. I hope my status shows!

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  9. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got a response back from US Air. They stated "We provide an update to our Star Alliance partners on a bi-monthly basis. However, it may take some time for our partners to update their system so we are unable to provide an exact date."

Hope this helps/clears things up just a bit.

8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  10. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question, I would hope that they would accept the print off of the temp card and or the boarding pass with *Gold on it

11. flightnurse

flightnurse Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS soon as US has you in thier system as *G then *A would be notified. Now if you having problems, call US and see what they say. Now when you log into your DM account and it shows you are GOLD, then it is US problem.

12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least it wasn't "Dear Sir, we've already started feeding data to One World"...

13. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Well, at least for the moment it is mitigated when I go to check in. United still didn't show it in their system on my last flight in Dec, but I finally received my US Airways Gold Card in the mail (yay!), so I showed them that, and then they made the change manually. But, the system was defaulting to Silver in the system. I don't think I have any flights in January....but I will be flying in Feb, so hopefully, hopefully by then. But, anyway....be aware that it takes some time to make it through the systems to the other airlines. A bit annoying when it comes to seat selection, but at least I can carry the multiple bags when on those family trips (like ski trips or all our snorkel/swim stuff to Hawaii later this year).

8MiHi likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how this works technically (or from a process perspective)?

To use UA and US as an example:

Does UA provide US (and every other Star Alliance carrier) with a list of their *S and *G members every so often that US then loads into their system? Does US maintain that as a "lookup table" in their own system for future reservations and to update current ones?

Or does Star Alliance maintain a central "clearing house" of *S and *G member records?

Is there any real time lookup capability between carriers or is it all batch-oriented?

15. I think *A has set up the system to find your FF number much like the banks can do through interac. They always find my status right away on other * carriers and I rarely have my card with me.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my understanding based on a conversation with someone in-house at UA it is handled by batch where the carriers push their member data into a shared repository and then the other programs can pull as desired. I know that last January my FF# wasn't showing on a LH-operated segment so I handed them my card to have the number added. The agent manually input my number AND my status level. She did it wrong, indicating only Silver status, and the system accepted the input. I had her correct it and that was also accepted so it seems that if there is real-time checking it isn't very reliable.

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  17. fourcorner

fourcorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    So just to get this clear. I am Aegean *gold. If I fly on US Air (no status), and I put my US Air FF # in when I am booking, I will have no status on the US Air flight. Only if I put my Aegean FF# in will I get * gold benefits, and the miles will be credited to Aegean. Are there not two separate codes - one for the carrier who will get the FF miles and another to get the benefits. Of course, the US Air folks had no idea what I was talking about

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to claim at least some benefits (eg lounge access) by showing your *G card.

19. fourcorner

fourcorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I will be able to credit the miles to US Air and yet get lounge privileges and free checked luggage (at least my first) because I am *Gold (which I prove by showing my card). Thanks HaveMilesWillTravel.

8MiHi likes this.
  20. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's correct

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was my understanding as well, but I guess not. Then why have an "alliance!" A person should be able to earn the miles for whomever he/she wants by using that FF #; but at the same time the *A level should show as well... even when earned by a different carrier, to be able to take advantage of its benefits. Both should be accounted for, not one or the other, as it relates to the booking and boarding pass.

22. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't done this, but I believe you can list the FF number of the status program on you reservation, and then at the gate or customer service ask them to change the FF program to credit the miles. At that point you've already for the bags checked and boarding pass etc.

23. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar situation coming up this week. I will earn *A Silver (crediting to Aegean) on my US Air flight out to Vegas on Thursday morning. When I fly back on Sunday morning I was wondering if I might get the *A Silver benefits. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks.

24. enichols22124

Status Points:
    It took me 15-20 days before it filtered through the Star Alliance, as best as I can tell. Flying on the same airline was within a day or two (In my case, US Airways picked it up quickly), but everyone else showed the lower status for several weeks (getting the card helped for the last few weeks). I called everyone and went everywhere looking for assistance to speed it up, but all parties pointed at everyone else. Tell us how long it took for you?

25. David Burdick

David Burdick Active Member

Status Points:
    Just got off the phone with United (I was just made Gold a few days ago) and have to fly Lufthansa who do not see my Gold Alliance status. I was told United sends their Member Status list to their partners once a week.