How long are ticket refunds taking?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by techgirl, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From my complaint in the least substantive thread... how long are individuals here experiencing that it takes to get a ticket refund on AA? Recent experiences especially appreciated.

I refunded one ticket last Tuesday (8 days ago) with the snow waiver... and another Monday (2 days ago) and neither has credited back to my card yet.

They told me they would credit "on my next billing cycle" would would be great... except I use a debit card for my ticket purchases. Do I even have a billing cycle? Or is that just slang for "we're going to hold onto your money for about 29 days"?

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have made the experience anywhere from 3 to 10 days to have it credited back to my card. I think the biiling cycle you refering to is the statement cycle of the checking account used.

3. Four days for my January refund! YMMV!

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they give you the choice of a voucher refund versus credit card refund? On my trip in vain last week, where I only made it as far as DFW, complete refund via voucher within 24 hours.

5. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was not at the airport - the offer was to refund back to original form of payment. And I did not have other tickets to purchase at that moment so didn't want to have to hang on to a voucher or credit.

6. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the value of a refundable ticket go back to my credit card in about 2-3 business days after I canceled. (I believe this was back in Sept/Oct 2010)

7. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled a tix on Monday. Was told it would be 3 to 5 days.
    Will reply again when it posts to account.

8. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My ticket I canceled on Monday posted overnight - so 2 days (3 if you consider the midnight posting).

When I saw this I was a bit twirked that the first one (that I had called on TWICE after the original cancellation) still had not posted. Turns out there was not a refund in process.. so not only did the original agent lie when she said she was submitting it to be refunded (she noted it but did not actually finish the transaction) but two others after her both assured me that "yes, it was in process" and that I needed to be patient.

This fourth agent today asked me if I wanted her to still process.. but now I actually have another ticket to issue so I'll do that instead. *sigh*

magic111 likes this.
  9. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I purchased a ticket for 2-2 for SFO-DFW-FLL. The SFO-DFW was cancelled due to the ice/snow at DFW so I cancelled the whole trip. The EXP desk said the price would be credited back to my credit card I used on 2-11. Sounds like its different for everyone.

10. Curious as to this as well. Have numerous JFK-SFO F tickets for various weekends, and will be refunding some.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BenaminNYC-

Good to see you here. Welcome to Milepoint! [​IMG]

12. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just called and found that my credit card account was credited on 2-3, one day after the trip was cancelled due to weather. Not bad.

13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Twirked? A combination of twisted and irked? [​IMG] Very expressive term.

techgirl likes this.
  14. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many ghosts from the past appearing here :)

JDiver and gemac like this.
  15. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has now been 6 days since I cancelled (was told 3-5 days for refund) I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with the assumption they meant 3-5 "business days"

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everybody gets a second chance here. Some will take advantage of that second chance. Some will persist with what led them astray elsewhere. They will sort themselves.

JDiver, magic111 and techgirl like this.
  17. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    two weeks here for a flight cancelled at the end of January due to weather, my credit just posted over the weekend

18. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And a few have already received a live person one on one contact about their participation in Beta. [​IMG]

gemac likes this.
  19. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got around to calling and found out that my refund had not been processed. The new agent had to do quite a bit of research to insure that the cancellation was due to weather and not my whim. Have now been told it may take up to 9 business days. Stay tune for future developments.

20. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, I still haven't closed the loop on my February 1st ticket. Per my upstream posts, on the FOURTH call to check on this they still hadn't figured it out so they set it up to be used as a credit. I attempted to use said credit on February and got a completely incompetent EXP agent who kept me on the line for 25 minutes and kept rudely insisting that this cancellation was not weather related and that I'd have to pay an international change fee (since I was applying it to an international ticket). Finally after three "on holds" while she talked to tariff, they supposedly "made an exception".

Called from the States on 2/22 and discovered that although my card had been charged for the difference, the ticket still wasn't issued. Ticket finally got issued on the 26th. Discovered yesterday that they charged my card for the full amount and did not use the existing ticket.

I'm now told the old existing ticket will be fully refunded this week... and was given a six digit confirmation locator.

I am NOT holding my breath....

magic111 likes this.
  21. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither am I. A couple more days and we are at the end of 10 more business days. Maybe I should send a PM to our good old buddy at FT, Stephen aka americanairlines [​IMG]

22. Grover

Grover Active Member

Status Points:
    It took 14 calendar days (Feb 1 to Feb 15) to have my canceled ticket credited back to my credit card.
    On one of my inquiring calls, the agent told me about this refund status site buried on AA.com. I had no idea it existed.

techgirl likes this.
  23. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    OMG... that might be the most valuable piece of AA information I've gathered in the past couple of years! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing... not only bookmarked it but just sent it out to my entire team. You have no idea how much time we've wasted in the past digging for info accessible on that page!!!

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea. Perhaps he could issue a press release. [​IMG]

25. GregL

GregL Active Member

Status Points:
    Any suggestions on when to call refunds and actually get to speak with someone?

I have a ticket which was incorrectly charged an extra APD out of the UK (changed from a Y award to a J award and they took out the full 2x APD rather than just collecting the extra amount). Submitted a request online last week and the status of the request hasn't changed at all.

Have tried calling several times only to hear the "we're sorry we can't take your call due to high call volumes".

Greg