How little is too little?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What is the smallest number of FFP points you'll bother to collect?

1. 1 point - I want them all.

28.9%
  2. 10 points

15.6%
  3. 50 points

20.0%
  4. 100 points

8.9%
  5. 250 points

8.9%
  6. 500 points

8.9%
  7. 1000 points

6.7%
  8. 2500 or more points.

2.2%
  9. 0 - I don't collect points.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm completely down with the idea of large credit card sign up bonuses. I'm comfortable with prioritizing my credit card spending to take advantage of bonus categories. I always collect the miles from any flight I take. But I also see all kinds of offers of very small numbers of points for Facebook "likes", for filling out surveys, for watching advertising videos, and so on.

My question is: how many points need to be involved in an offer for you to take some action to get the points. Please respond in the poll and feel free to add any comments.

For the purpose of this poll assume that the points we're talking about are redeemable, not elite-qualifying, points in one of the common US based airline frequent flier programs. Assume that it's not a case of needing a small number of points to keep miles from expiring. Furthermore, assume that the "action" required is something that takes about five minutes to do.

sobore and miles and smiles like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked 250 points. That is 50 points per minute or 3000 points per hour, which at valuations of 1-2 cents/point equal a reasonable compensation for a task.

sobore and miles and smiles like this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked 1000 though I think I often leave those points on the table unless it is one of my regular programs. I can't be bothered doing anything that is social media related, I don't bother with Four Square to Facebook.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to use my primary FB account info for a few miles or points, even though I am not a prolific facebooker. It just seems wrong. So I set up a secondary account recently that's fairly unloved (= friend-less). But I haven't really used it for any social media promos.

sendaiben, miles and smiles and Toula like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really you are asking the value of time and the value of points, all in one question.

My behavior It depends on how much time (and to a lesser degree, effort) is involved. I do some things daily for 50 or so points, but it doesn't take a lot of effort or time. If it takes a lot of time, then the reward threshold would need to be higher to get me excited.

Time is the most valuable thing I have. Too bad I don't know how much I have left! I hope it is a lot!

6. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll chase every point/mile ..... i can't remember ever thinking, that isn't worth doing.... so, why not.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you'd spend five minutes to earn ten miles? All day long? If so, I have a gardening job for you :D

sobore, miles and smiles and Toula like this.
  8. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably take it, I bet I could earn a couple hundred miles before you fired me for just standing around and not really working while on the clock.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's a concrete example: watch a 90 second (or so) video, then answer one question. Reward: 150 Delta Skymiles.

It was worth my time "watching" the video, entering my Delta Skymiles number and choosing the right answer. In fact, I did it twice, for me and my wife.

When the points didn't post, I even spent 1 minute sending an email to BOSE customer support about it as advised in that thread. When the reply was "please call us to resolve this issue", I gave up. I am not spending my time talking to a Bose drone who probably never heard about this promo, doesn't know what to do with me, and then probably just tries to sell me a new headset.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...answer-one-question.17176/page-2#post-1073273

What I *should* do instead is set up a cron job to send them the same email request every day until they pay up.

miles and smiles and Toula like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Miles will post 6-8 weeks after completion of work. If you email me about the miles, I'll advise you to call my "customer service" :p

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends entirely on how much work/time for the miles/points. I'll put out more time/effort if I am trying to top off an account toward a specific goal, like when I was just short of 25K for a free flight.

tarheelblue, Mike1625, sobore and 2 others like this.
  12. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

Mike1625 and miles and smiles like this.
  13. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you realise you are on the correct forum when "0 - I don't collect points." has zero votes...;)

14. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmmmmmm I don't go out of my way to collect points but it just seems to happen in some mysterious way

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let's see... gardening is taken care off... would you do house cleaning? :D

I really should set up a "mechanical turk" type system where the payment is miles or points.

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been driving a bit out of my way to pass my home airport so I can "check in" and get 50 MileagePlus miles everytime my smart phone says I'm near an airport.

17. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took the 250, but then again if you are at 99,990 CO/UA miles and need that measly 10 to get to 1K, you should really go for it :p

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Priority club account just passed 100,000. I did consciously put an extra purchase on my PC Visa to get over 100K :)

19. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really depends on the situation - and how much effort is involved. No simple answer.

One recent example is a 2500 UR deal Chase sent to a very targeted group. There was a modest amount of legwork to get 2500 for an added employee card (with at least one spend on each) for the INK card. For a single card; perhaps I will or won't chase it. However the line that stated "no limit" caught my eye. After all was said and done it turns out that there was a soft limit of around 100 cards :D Now that is something I'll bite on each time!

Another example is the HA search toolbar. You get a whopping 1pt for three searches. However the effort is essentially zero for something you do anyway. No brainer, I've got the toolbar. Now with a little more effort, you might create a script that sits there and does searches whilst you do other things - just say'n :)

Then there are the CC sign up bonuses - so many, so little time . . .

20. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It matters on the time it takes! For example, TopGuest/Foursquare gives me 50mi/checkin, but I'm addicted to 4sq and can easily do so within a minute. 50 miles in less than a minute, especially one when I'm probably idle? Sure!

But, the more time something takes (if it's something I can't break up into smaller windows, like a survey that must be completed in one sitting), then I'll require more miles.

So being the Excel nerd I am (hey, aren't we all since we have to track our miles/points?), I came up with my equation:

if Y is the number of miles (Y<=4000), X is the number of maximum time, I will spend*:

y = 0.3549x2 + 108.41x - 60

*Why less than 4000? Because above that number, miles start to add up and become a lot more useful, depending on the program.

21. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just voted and saw that "1 point - I want them all" is winning. I wonder if you all would pick up pennies on the floor in your spare time :D

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not if it takes me five minutes for each penny (always read the fine print, in this case the last sentence of the OP).

23. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sharing my experience: I made that call to Bose, because I hate not receiving promo miles to which I'm entitled. The "Bose drone" was a very nice CSR who was very familiar with the promo, and he said "many people" were having a problem getting their miles. (His explanation was Delta fulfillment, as he said Bose had sent the miles over to Delta.) He took the information for all the family members who were missing miles from the promo, and not once did he try to sell me anything or even discuss Bose products. It probably took 5 minutes to complete the call, and the miles posted a few days later. Was it worth the trouble? Well, for at least one account, it put that family member over the mileage threshold for a ticket to Europe. So I would say yes, it was worth the minimal amount of extra time I put into it. YMMV.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Off-topic, but I quite believe that the problem was on Delta's side, as the equivalent AA/Bose promos always posted for me without any issues.

25. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too -- totally addicted to Foursquare and TopGuest.com been doing 3 checkins a day on my way to /from work. Hilton, IHG and BestWestern. 150 hotel points. I live near NYC so it is easy. I value hotel points at half a penny a piece and probably less for the BestWestern Points so I'm going ever so slightly out of my way for 75 cents a day.

PointHoarder likes this.