How late can you check-in without cancel/no show?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ballardFlyer, Mar 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 3 night stay booked at the Sheraton. I think I'm going to miss my connection (last one of night) and end up not reaching my destination until the next day around 11 or noon. If I show up the next day will they have already canceled my reservation and charged a no show? I'm fine paying for the first night even if I don't use it.

I searched a bit and it was mostly people showing up at 2 am (which I've done plenty) but not the next day at noon. Anyone have experience with this late?

sobore, uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one of very reasons that I tend to book room nights individually.:) If you are not going to be able to cancel before the stated cancellation time I strongly suggest you call the property explain the situation and tell them you intend to stay at there anyway so the not cancel you out .
    It is imperative that you get the name of the CSR you speak to.

The rates or nights eventualy charged can be discussed after arrival. and if its not a prepaid rate I have on at least two ocasions got the hotel the adjust the folio to reflect the correct nights stayed or obtained a "reasonable" credit if not
    receiving the full night rate.

sobore, uggboy, CharlesG and 2 others like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the hotel directly and inform them of the situation. If you did a pre-paid reservation and it was already charged on your CC then I doubt you can get a refund. However, I'm sure they will let the reservation be active because the flight is out of your control. Remember to get the name of the employee as well since it might be of use later.

sobore, uggboy, CharlesG and 4 others like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best solution is to call them. As long as they know what's happening it is unlikely that you will have problems.

uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP may be taking advantage of the current SPG promo -- hence the 3 nt booking!;)

6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, call the hotel directly.

I've never shown up quite that late and tried to keep the first day, but there have been plenty of times when I've shown up at one, two or three AM and the property has always been happy to check me in by phone and hold the key for me so I could have my room when I evetually wandered in.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had numerous situations with flight IROPS impacting my arrival at a hotel (often delaying the arrival by a day). In each case, I called the hotel and explained the situation. Every time, the hotels have had no problem waiving the charge for the first night's stay (even if I'm within the cancellation period). I always note the name of the employee and the time of the call (just in case).

I've never done this on a pre-paid, non-refundable booking however. While I doubt you'd get the first night free, as long as you call the hotel, I can't envision a scenario where your room wasn't held for you. If they did refuse to accommodate you upon arrival, I'd take a photograph of myself in the hotel lobby and then dispute the charge with my credit card (showing that you were there, and that they wouldn't give you a room).

In my younger days, I would fly the red-eye from LAX to JFK, then get a room at the IC-Barclay for a few hours in NYC to catch some more sleep...then go into the office. I'd always call in advance to let them know I would be arriving at 5am the next morning...and they'd always say they'd hold my room.

Twice (shame on them the first time, shame on me the second) when I arrived they said they gave my room away and the hotel was full. Both times, they also took the liberty of charging my card. Both times, I got the money back - but a real pain in the you know where. (Soap box moment: Do not stay at the Intercontinental Barclay in NYC.) I think this was an outlier property.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the hotel is supposed to hold a guaranteed reservation until check out time, which frequently is noon, although of course if they are oversold, your room will be gone when you arrive.

uggboy likes this.
  9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your feedback. Based on advice, called the hotel. Hotel was sold out for one of then nights so they couldn't change and I got bounced to SPG CS.

SPG Plat customer service was wonderful - they had the whole thing resolved in 5 minutes. Interestingly they called the hotel on my behalf.

Love SPG! The program keeps getting better - esp in 2012 with the new benefits - which rare in freq traveler programs anymore.

MP is wonderful - such thoughtful and helpful responses.

Oh and to the why 3 nights question, My better half doesn't like to hotel hop so I usually book our stays in a row. Learned my lesson tho.

wrxmom and Misplaced Texan like this.