How is your iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by jbcarioca, Sep 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My own iPhone 6 Plus is now going into it's fourth day. Two IOS updates 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 have so far been installed. Here is my experience so far:

1. iCloud migration was seamless and fast, about 30 minutes, without any glitches at all;
    2. I did the 8.0.1 update but could not lose any signal nor calls. In fact it continued to receive and send calls with excessive ease, seamlessly switching from cellular to wifi and vv. As a horrible result I did not miss even one junk call. The junk calls had superb clarity, not something any other iPhone has had IME.
    3. The camera did work more easily and focus better than any mobile device i have used including the Samsung many mini pixel ones. BY accident I was taking photos of a room which did not have electrical power and was not too easy to see with eyes. My Canon 6D handles those well but Tim Cook claimed the iPhone 6 could do that also. Behold: it works! The photos weren't professional quality but there is no more one could ask of a mobile phone IMHO.
    4. The Health app counts stairs but still there are no apps available that synch with Health, so I still use the Jawbone UP24 and Argus. I hope the Apple Watch can live up to the specs and help me move to the active monitoring I'd like to have. So, the fitness stuff remains vaporware AFAIK.
    5. The general usability is a big plus for me. The clarity of the retina display pays off for my aging eyes.
    6. My iPhone will not bend! How can somebody bend this device? ...use a vise-grip of some such device? Anybody have any idea?
    7. I'm on balance very happy so far. Early adoption has not yet made me suffer.

How has been your experience?

daninstl, Gaucho, LIH Prem and 6 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear from your positive iPhone 6 experiences here on MP. :) As for me, I don't own an iPhone. :oops:

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    vickers, ACMM and uggboy like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, Newscience and ACMM like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing about MY jeans is skinny! :eek: :p

daninstl and vickers like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that whole thing is stupid...... You can tell from the pictures online that people are trying to bend it with all their might. Of course it could bend. Thats what they are trying to do.

daninstl, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im with you. Forget muffin top. I'd be a lava cake........ (note to self... order lava cake for dessert tonight)

daninstl, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ThumbsUP.jpg

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You never told me that! :eek: Is that why my old Gateway quit? I thought a Gateway, any gateway, should be able to put up with the ordinary day to day entry and exit.
    OTOH, everybody knows apples will rot if you leave them out in the rain. So far my iPhone 6 has endured Miami rains pretty well. Of course I have no skinny jeans either. If I did I wouldn't admit it anyway, not at my age and condition.

Gaucho and ACMM like this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got some Windows I'd like to throw out of my laptop. :p

bigx0, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that apples were there before windows and that windows was made for apples does it follow that windows are fruits?:confused:

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well stated perfesser! :p

YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  14. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who wants to try really hard to bend their iphone 6 and actually puts that into action .. is an idiot...

jbcarioca, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well help is on the way it appears ... a repair kit! :)

2014-Sep-26 20-40-24.jpg

16. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is enjoying her iphone6 now. Battery life is way better than her old iphone5.
    I am still waiting for my iphone6+ to arrive.

We definitely will not bend any of them.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, any good case to recommend? Thanks in advance.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on what type of case you want.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cast iron is good, I hear.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My $3 TPU case from Amazon is not bad, either.

danielwood and jbcarioca like this.
  21. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried 3, one was a mistaken order for an iphone 5 case. the one on the phone now is the only decent one I found, the Apple leather case. The first one was the Spigen Neo Hybrid .. I hated it. I've had spigen cases before and they were nice, but this one sucked, it absolutely detracted from the thinness and curves of the device. Don't know about other third party cases, but I would check them out in person before I waste any more $$$ on them. I'm sure they will get better in time, since I have no idea how they were able to produce cases so quickly. When Simon is ready with his Simplcase I'll probably buy that one for the 6.

-David

danielwood and jbcarioca like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    but... Where is the link for the Apple Store and Amazon purchases? even though I don't yet have the problem I do remember 'be prepared' so I do want to buy one. My spouse suggests one of these might work better:

However: 1)installation is difficult, 2) it costs more than the iPhone 6 Plus does and 3) I bought AppleCare anyway. Still my spouse, a ceramicist, already had one so maybe you've inadvertently resolved my potential dilemma. Thanks!

Gaucho and ACMM like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with most other comments. I ordered the Apple non-leather case for mine but it has not yet arrived.

Gaucho and danielwood like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three more comments that I was delaying until I was certain:
    1) auto-complete/auto-correct is amazing! I intentionally misspelled both hyphenated words in this post as well as hyphenated itself. The results are here for you to see.
    2) the claim of faster cellular data is true. Just for the sheer obsessiveness of it I just compared a iPhone 5S and iPhone 6+ on the T-Mobile I network in Miami, both on my account with identical plans. I initiated a download of the Kayak App on both at the same time. I had deleted the app on both before beginning. 6+ took 45 seconds, 5S took 115 seconds. MMV for sure, but the 6+ seems consistently faster.
    3)!the wi-fi cellular call switching continues to outperform others I have tried with the same capability,. I have tested that a few times now, walking in and out of cellular coverage areas where I also had automatic wi-do connection but was outside the range. This feature can easily fail due to wi-do signon problems but the switch itself seems impeccable. So far...

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  25. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love this case for my iPhone 5. It is perfect to hold my ID and credit card for easy access going through security, etc. without having to get out my wallet. It holds 3 items with ease, but I have also put a couple of dollars for tips for easy access. iPhone wallet case by CM4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMTBHDG/ref=twister_B00NAOYHKM

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.