How is MilePoint doing?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ranman1973, Jun 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I joined a couple of months ago and haven't been on here too much. Wanted to come and find the latest on the Air Canada strike, but was just wondering: How is the launch? How is membership? By the looks of things, the forum area is doing very well. Awesome. Keep up the good work guys!

-Randy

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back. The left side of the members page has statistics on numbers of members, threads, and posts.

There are several threads in the AC forum about the strike. You might want to check the newsstand area too. I haven't noticed much strike info in the Canadian airports listings, but that might be where to look regarding particular routes and destinations.

jbcarioca, doc and travelingmore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always good to see someone coming back and checking in! :)

Chimpy, jbcarioca, doc and 2 others like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm really enjoying myself here. I like that as a new forum, questions asked are often being asked for the first time. So fresh answers are being given all the time. I like that so far we've got a pretty friendly and welcoming place. Some great members and also some pretty cool interactions already, for instance it's nice to be able to work together to give back to the world we travel in through Kiva together (I hadn't ever been involved with it until members here got me on that bandwagon) and people like Maya Leibman (President of AAdvantage) doing member chats and then staying on to actually participate in the forum (see for instance from this morning: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/finally-got-a-call-from-the-executive-offices.12830/#post-534608).

I like that Milepoint is a sponsor of the Chicago Seminar in October, and also helped sponsor Frequent Traveler University in New York in April. Wherever frequent travelers are gathering. Great stuff.

Now, I'm impatient and I always want all things quickly but I think it's been pretty impressive for having only just launched in private beta in early February. To have over half a million posts, and to have had mentions in major media like the Chicago Tribune and the new July Conde Nast Traveler is pretty cool.

So I for one am excited about things around here, and looking forward to more of the things up Randy's sleeves in the coming months.

We'll have our original member t-shirts and luggage tags soon enough, more chats (such as with Delta's Jeff Robertson, I understand his international travel in June delayed scheduling a bit but it should come soon).

Onward and upward! :)

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's going pretty well for what is essentially a newer site. the vast majority came from FT, tho. unfortunately i still find myself going there for most of the info i need. MP has a much more welcoming environment, tho, and i look forward to moving most of my online travel hunting escapades to MP as it continues to grow.

what's this of t-shirts and luggage tags?? :eek:

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  6. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is an "original member"?

Does MP track "member number"? This would be cool because (a) I love gamification and (b) a friend is member number 17,000 on LinkedIn, which now as over 100 million members. Bragging rights ;)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    An original member is someone who registered and earned IIRC 25 status points by May 15.

8. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and I can brag that I am number 31.

(That is even ahead of Gleff, who is number 40. As Gleff is a co-founder, and I was registered before him, I must have been one of those who co-losted it.)

You, incidentally, are number 7527.

In order to see someone's number, simply go to the box with his avitar, right click on his name, and then click "Properties". His number will appear after the word "Type", followed by "/file".

sobore, Gargoyle, why fly and 3 others like this.
  9. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Co-lost"... groan. :)

Congrats on #31. Yes, I see the number in the URL. Thanks!

jbcarioca and doc like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I right click in Chrome, the word Properties doesn't appear. Earlier on MP, the member number was visible in the lower left from the profile page, but I don't see this now either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. This is easier. Go to the profile page and look for the number in the URL.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. in chrome just right click on the avatar "open link in a new window", in the the new URL you'll see your number.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's too much work. Just hover your mouse over the username and look at the URL (in my config for Firefox, IE, Chrome and Opera it appears in the bottom status bar). Yours is http://milepoint.com/forums/members/dovster.31/
    Note the 31 at the end. I'm a latecomer, I'm number 66, but then again, that is an apropos number for a Gargoyle. :D

member_number.jpg

Concerto, sobore, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the ownership structure of MP?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Concerto and jbcarioca like this.
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Very interesting thread to read. I appreciate your pointing the thread out to me.

Also thanks for not saying, "Why didn't you do a search! Is my time less valuable than yours?" The lack of that crap here is why I'm here versus ft. While ft still has more content, and often sooner than here, the civility here outweighs any information shortfalls (which I expect will be temporary).

Cheers.

wheat27, Olton Hall, Chimpy and 9 others like this.
  17. Here Here or Hear Hear, thank god (or God) it's here.

18. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes yes yes! Plus the answers are all fresh here. I.e, an answer back in 1998 probably isn't that relevant. And you don't have to cull through reams and reams of pages of answers to find what you're looking for.

Concerto, Counsellor, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  19. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think MP is progressing nicely. Personally, I wish I was contributing more, but I tend to go in cycles. Many many thanks to everyone for continuing to make MP a success!

20. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Count me in as another who loves the sense of community here. While some areas (such as MRs) are still growing (Can we get BryanIAH over here, please?), I find myself coming here more and more, and feel more a part of the discussions. In fact, I think I've posted more here in a month than in an average year for me "over there."

For now, if I need a quick answer I might tend to ask there, but if I want a good discussion, here is where I come. The people here represent a huge knowledge base, but the egos seem to have been left behind. Definitely feel more welcomed here, and my contributions more valued overall.

21. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too really appreciate the friendly forums & overall kinder, gentler attitude here & believe MP is moving along quite nicely into its first 2Q! My thanks to the founders/co-owners and all contributors for making MP what it is now and what it is shaping up to be: a user-friendly, social media conduit for all things related (even vaguely) to Flyers & Travelers.

22. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the civility over here will be temporary. The "tone at the top" is VERY important in shaping the culture of an organisation, and the behavior on Milepoint - by the co-founders and contributors - has been exemplary.

sobore, Gargoyle, Tim O'Brien and 2 others like this.
  23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Milepoint is actually more than 4 months old as the beta started in early Feb. Considering how many changes MP has already been through - with the shift from beta to going public, with the ownership change, with the new software, new features, two big promos (Ipad and Kiva), etc. I feel it is safe to say that MP is and will continue to be a friendly, helpful place for info, friendships, service and more.

24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read this thread several times. I agree with most of the comments. It is easy to get answers here and nobody seems uptight. I recall only one tense exchange here, and the offender almost instantly stopped offensive comments, I suspect through judicious use of Conversations. People still have clear views, but they are not generally expressing those views by attacking other people. Oh, how I do enjoy civilized discourse! It is nice to discuss different opinions without attempting to destroy the person who holds different views.

Possibily the politicians of the world could learn something about civility by reading milepoint!:D

25. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Perhaps so, and I hear Anthony Weiner has some spare time on his hands these days. <rimshot>

Gargoyle and Tim O'Brien like this.