How is Airbnb Changing the Travel Industry?

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by Newscience, Jan 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is Airbnb Changing the Travel Industry?

Posted by PeterGreenberg.com on January 26, 2015:

http://petergreenberg.com/2015/01/26/airbnb-changing-travel-industry/

With an estimated 37 million one-night stays annually, more than one million listings worldwide, and a presence in 190 different countries, it’s safe to say that Airbnb is changing the travel industry. Despite Airbnb’s obvious popularity, some travelers are still hesitant about utilizing the service—and understandably. Not all cities are welcoming of Airbnb, and it’s unclear what might happen if something goes wrong. Regardless, Airbnb is still growing, and it doesn’t appear that will stop any time soon.

Given this success, is Airbnb a threat to the hotel industry? What can we expect for the future? Watch Peter's CBS segment to learn more:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-airbnb-is-transforming-the-travel-industry/

uggboy and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used Airbnb a couple of times while on vacations. It's a different experience than staying in a hotel. Staying with a private host carries uncertainty and requires more preparation. But my limited experiences so far were all positive -- I enjoyed living among the locals, and getting to know them.

There may be a very slight overlap in the customer base between Airbnb and hotels, but for the most part their services are not in competition with each other. Business travelers who require consistency, predictability, and availability, should not consider Airbnb.

For those who use CC's with travel benefits, Airbnb charges are coded as travel expenses.

uggboy, flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very useful information! Thanks for sharing, MX! :)

uggboy and MX like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO I think Airbnb is without question a threat to the hotel industry, hotels received 37 million less sales last year

these Airbnb customers had other less attractive options like staying at a hotel that cost more, not travelling at all or sleeping under a bridge :eek:

however the travel industry is growing with more people worldwide travelling and in need of lodging

I also think hotels will need to "up their game" to better compete in certain markets, which is good news for us frequent travelers

it is positive development for the consumer with more choices, particularly in markets that are in short supply and when there is an historical shortage where hotels 'price gouge' during major international exhibitions, sports events or festivals (i.e., Canton Fair, Olympics, Rio Carnival)

I will likely try Airbnb for the first time when I feel that I am being excessively "price gouged" by an hotel :cool:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  5. larajones

larajones New Member

Status Points:
    Airbnb has simplified stays while travelling. It gives travellers ample options to choose from, according to their requirements. Out of all benefits, it is cost effective.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.