How important is Flash?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by KyRoamer, Sep 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My only hesitancy in buying the iPhone is the absence of Flash. I've had a Blackberry for years and its browser plain stinks so Apple's will seem great in comparison. But will I miss Flash a lot.

a friend who likes to watch basketball bought a Kindle Fire in addition to an iPad just to watch basketball on a Flash based site. I will not be watching sports or movies on my phone.

ACMM likes this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently had to get an iPhone 4S (the lesser of all the evils in March this year, I was a happy Palm Pre owner previously).
    The problem with not having Flash is that there are quite a few websites that use embedded Flash. With the iPhone you don't see the data on those web pages. I have noticed this especially in restaurant websites where the menu is a Flash page. Really annoying as my prior phone had no trouble.

SC Flier, Gargoyle and ACMM like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find flash less and less of an issue ... still on a 3GS ... I am finding more and more websites are supporting html5 and that it works fine with my phone. In the end the absence of flash, while a minor annoyance, is not great enough to warrant complaining about for me.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ways to get Flash on the iphone (one link below), but I would think most content built for the iphone, (games and video) does not care about Flash.

One other thing to consider is widgets. If this is something important to you, you might want to give Android a look.

How To Play Flash Videos On Your iPhone Or iPod Touch

5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will this work for Flash components of websites that are not games or video?

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe so based on the STEP11 content:

Now, go ahead and open any of the supported websites to watch your favourite flash video files. To view the video, simply open the iOSFlashVideo bookmark on the respective webpage.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that flash for android from adobe has been discontinued for further installs with development halted. Android is great, but flash is less important going forward.

SC Flier, _kurt and Tenmoc like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In many years of iPhone and iPad use I recall very few instances where I couldn't use a site I needed due to flash. The main culprits for me these days seem to be small businesses (restaurants) and small non-profits that where somehow talked into having their website created with Flash and they don't have the money to spend on a rewrite.

With mobile Flash being discontinued by Adobe and HTMl5 browsers being quite common now, I would not base my device buying decision on this alone.

viguera likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping that HTML5 adoption would have killed flash a long time ago, but developers are lazy and it's easy to use the tools.

When youtube started encoding videos for mobile devices (after it was obvious Apple wasn't going to support Flash way back in the day) I thought that would have been the final nail in the coffin, but apparently that's not the case yet. :)

Now that Adobe has officially dropped support for Flash on Android 4.1, it's hopefully just a matter of time. But Flash on the desktop is borderline garbage, and on mobile devices it's even worse, so I wouldn't base my decision solely on Flash support -- because chances are that other than some Facebook apps and Flash-based games, you won't need to use Flash while on the road.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a iPad user the restaurant websites are the only area that I do miss flash. (I believe there still are some TV/video sites sill depending on flash but I’m not into those.) Usually menus can be found on other sites like menupages.com.

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    KYRoamer.
    This here is the most important part of your decision.

You can no longer get flash for android either unless it is pre installed and jelly bean and above of android is not supposed to support it. i have jelly bean on my phone and i do miss flash. there are many things i wish i could do more easily. Watching tv shows from sites like fox/food/hgtv/etc i can no longer do. There are many apps that allow work arounds to get some videos, but they often ask for permissions i'm not willing to share.

There are 1,000,001 or more reasons to choose android over ios, but flash is no longer one of those. So if flash is what is holding you up from buying an iphone, i say go for it and buy it. Going from blackberry to iphone should be night and day.

As mentioned above there are still many sites that use flash. but your options are less and less and i in no way recommend a lessor phone (something running gingerbread) just to get flash.

Now. My review of the iphone 5 is simply a mid range smart phone for top end range money. But I do understand that it is what is right for some people. Either way, it will be a step up from your blackberry.

12. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I turned flash off on my work computer a month ago, and I don't miss it. Once in a while there is a YouTube video that I can't play. That's about it. For those, I open a different browser that still has flash enabled.

ACMM likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Flash Blocker extensions for ages. Rarely need to override them.

ACMM likes this.
  14. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone.

I know that the iPhone is just mid-range but in less than a year (5/09/2013) when my wife's contract is up I will likely give her the 5 and see what is new out there. She loves her 4's so trading will be easy enough. If by then I love my 5 we will just upgrade her.

So the 5 may be just a temporary step for me. We will see.