How far is too far?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by maggioant, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Should I do it?

1. Yes, you can and should.

70.0%
  2. No, you're too far behind.

30.0%
  1. maggioant

maggioant Member

Status Points:
    After accounting for the DEQM promo, I would need to fly 18,793 miles to re-qualify for Exec Platinum this year with American. I have two open weekends 12/14-12/16 and 12/28-/12/31. Is it even worth trying? Let me know in the poll and/or comments. Thanks!

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    1 RT to HNL should do the trick!

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think he needs 2?
    That to me means he actually needs to fly 18,793 BIS miles. He is ~37k away from 100k ... unless I'm reading it wrong

That being said, if EXP is worth it for you and you have the funds... go for it.

perryplatypus and malikguy like this.
  4. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, after reading it again, I think you are correct. That's a lot to fly in two weekends. I'm with edekba on this one. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. ;)

5. kb2zrz

kb2zrz New Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone actually seen the DEQMiles post to their accounts yet? The bonuses are posted promptly, but haven't seen anything turn up yet in the qualifying miles column. I will be close for Executive Platinum and want to be sure I don't miss out by a hair.

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've posted for me.

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Me too

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  8. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me three. :)

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does AA fly to Singapore?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    no ... JL/CX does.

AA only goes to NRT/HND/PVG/PEK/ICN (Soon) i think.

OceanBreezes and 8MiHi like this.
  11. Jellypods

Jellypods Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did a 18,800 miles-earned trip MUC-IST-NRT-IST-MUC to requal LH SEN in less than 60 elapsed hours, including 24 hours shopping and relaxing in Tokyo. So it is possible. I would not recommend ECO though.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe they said the miles will post very late this month or Jan, but if they post in January then they will still count for this year (re)qualification. Call the AAdvantage number at 800-882-8880. There was an automated message on there about the promo when I called earlier in the week.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you prefer the NH or UA lounges in NRT? Though I'm not sure if the UA one is open for as long as the NH ones are (to coincide with the large bank of eastbound flights in the afternoon...).

14. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to all of the NH lounges in NRT (including their 1st Class 'Suites' lounge), and I think they are nicer than the UA lounges there. The food & beverage choices and quality are good, as is the comfort (though the lounges can get crowded, making it sometimes hard to find a quiet area or even a seat).

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    so did you go for ExPlat?

If you are doing much flying in 2013 or plan to fly international using your VIPs, I hope you did.

16. jaxchad

jaxchad Member

Status Points:
    I'm typing this from the JAL Lounge in HND. Coming back from a very quick MR that locks in Exec Plat for first time. Excited about the upcoming travel year :)

17. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The NH lounges do look sleeker, but even though I said both can get quite crowded, aren't we also part of that?...

Nevermind that, I recently read that the NH lounges don't just offer udon, but also Japanese curry and hamburg steak- can anyone verify this (at least with the NRT outposts)?

18. kb2zrz

kb2zrz New Member

Status Points:
    That message is gone - but thanks for the suggestion. With the DEQ promo, I hit Executive Platinum on 12/30. Before any of the mileage flown on that dates posted, the slate has been wiped clean - everything tolled back to zero at midnight last night.

Nowhere do I see a total through 12/31 - although the mile credits from individual flights have been posting accurately over the past several weeks - usually on Saturday night. I am assuming (can anyone confirm) that next Sunday morning my account will magically have switched over to Executive Platinum? My balance before flying on Sunday was 98,432 before the mileage and bonuses (4,782) for the flights that day posted - I should have ended up the year at 103,214, yet my account reflects this year's totals of zeros across the board, and the status banner is still showing me as Platinum. :(

Any encouraging words (or helpful hints) appreciated - I've already emailed them and got the expected robot response.

/ckd

19. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry. They are slow, but they will post. Last year I did the same thing at the last second and my EXP didn't show until Jan 6 for me while I waited for bonuses to post. Keep your BPs and wait for 1-7 days.

kb2zrz likes this.
  20. kb2zrz

kb2zrz New Member

Status Points:
    :: patiently waiting... :: Thanks!

21. kb2zrz

kb2zrz New Member

Status Points:
    They posted - along with my new Executive Platinum status! Thanks very much! :)