How far in advance to book award travel on US?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by misterbwong, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to plan a trip for two to Taiwan with stopover in Korea next march using purchased miles from the USAirways 100% match. Unfortunately I can't buy them until 12/20 since I just signed up for the US dividend miles account. I'm seeing availability on and off on the ANA and CO tools but my sense is that seats are dwindling.

Am I too late to the party by booking only ~3 months early?? How far in advance should one usually book award travel?

Thanks!!

Jimgotkp and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you will be fine if there is still availability. Obviously one should book award travel as soon as possible but there are routes that are usually tight in award availability such as LAX-SYD on UA. Since OZ has been becoming popular award availability for the F cabin has been getting harder from the US.

misterbwong and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually, it's best to start as early as possible and keep an eye out as time goes on. I just booked 4 people in business class LAX-ICN-HKG-ICN-HKG for April with stops in ICN, HKG, and HNL using Aeroplan miles (only 300k + fairly high taxes and fees for business since they have their crazy promotion of F for J or J for Y miles) and availability was tight for certain segments, but that was for 4 people...you don't mention what class you're traveling but with 2 you should have some options in J, F may be more difficult, but still doable. I'd recommend putting your award ticket on hold when you're able to buy the miles, then buying the miles so you're not stuck with miles and no immediate use for them.

misterbwong and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops forgot to mention I will be trying for Business (J).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In October I redeemed to travel in Dec/Jan, doing HKG-PVG-SIN-KUL-SIN-HKG in C or F and it seemed easy,with plenty of availability. I do not believe that waiting one more week until 12/20 would change things much. Good luck!

misterbwong likes this.