How far in advance can I book award seats thru AA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Title says it. Looking to go RT First Class from JFK to HKG on Cathay using our AA miles. Since there is no penalty booking one way, I want to book the outbound first and then book the return when those seats become available.

The outbound, next January, is already available according to AwardNexus but AA says that for their own flights, they can't book more than 335 out. Does that also hold for partner flights? I know that CX has good availability but I really want to snag the tickets the first day I can. Appreciate any guidance.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Odd to see 335 as the number you got, I've always heard 330 for AA.com bookings, 331 days if you use the phone.

Regardless, AA only books award tickets based on its own rules. Many of its partners release seats prior to the 330 day mark, but you cannot book them. This is a point of frustration for many trying to redeem AA miles, particularly for QF F seats.

sobore and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was working from my obviously flawed memory! Had a sense that the answer was as you stated. Here's hoping

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A common problem for all people, we all feel your pain. Best of luck. ;)

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David. I did a search on AwardNexus for the same dates in December and November and it seems these seats are a lot more available than the Qantas ones you mentioned. And at worst, God forbid, I'll fly business!!!

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please don't just settle for J! Don't get me wrong, it's a great product but CX F is WELL worth the small premium (25k r/t)