How far ahead can you book partner award travel?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by noam, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm predominantly an AA flyer (1MM EXP), but the AA ticketing window means I lose out on prime partner seats (e.g. QF flights in Dec/Jan). With the current AMEX BA promotion, I'm thinking it might be worth doing a transfer if the BA window extends further out than the AA window does (which I think is around 332 days).

Inquiring minds want to know... How many days out can you book BA award travel?

2. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    356 days on BA. Using today as starting point (5th Feb) the calendar will allow you to book award travel until January 27th 2012. Same limit on revenue travel btw.

noam likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is really great, and of course true only on those partners that publish their schedules that far out. So you can't book AA that far ahead.

But BA publishes its own schedules that far out. So do Qantas and Cathay Pacific.

If you have American miles, you can only book 330 days out, even on their partners that publish their schedules further out. Some of those early-loaded Qantas seats are gone by then...

But BA miles can grab those seats right away. :)

And since BA awards can be done as one-ways even on partners, you can book a one-way on the first day the schedule opens, and then you can book a one-way return when the schedule opens for your return date.

Now, I also rather like BA partner Alaska Airlines. They will allow partner award bookings whenever those partners open their schedule, even though Alaska doesn't load its own schedule until 330 days out (and it can take a handful of days usually to grab Alaska Airlines award seats after the schedule loads). Plus Alaska has some great value awards like US to South Africa via Hong Kong in Cathay first for 140k miles per person :) Oh and Alaska won't charge a change fee to add Alaska feeder flights when their own award seats load later. Go Alaska ! Even though I realize it's a bit off-topic...

druiddation likes this.
  4. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll ask followup questions in the Alaska forum. :)

5. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a clarification--If I book a flight with BA miles on a single partner- CX, can I do this 356 days in advance and not 330 days??

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct

7. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I wanted to book a QF flight from SYD-LAX and a QF codeshare on AA inside the US, would that count as one partner or does it go by the metal?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You don't book awards on codeshares, AA/QF is two partners.

9. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... If I want to book SYD-LAX-ORD, SYD-LAX would show up 356 days out but LAX-ORD would only show 330 days. Would I be able to book a one-way BA award and then add to it, or would I need to do two separate one-way awards?

Sorry if these are basic questions. I always thought QF held their inventory for themselves for some period. I didn't realize it was because AA is stupid. :)

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, you could make a change later (change fee).

But again, you're combining partners so it would likely be a lot cheaper to just do SYD-LAX-SYD on QF. And handle the ORD flights separately.

11. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. Ok. I'll need to factor that into my math then. Thanks, gleff.

12. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the time I book AA Partners < 1 week prior to departure. I have booked 3 x CX F Awards for the family 9 months out.