How Early Do You Really Need To Check-In?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the general rule for checking in (especially when checking a bag) is that you must do so 45 min before your scheduled flight if it is a domestic flight and 90 min if it is an international flight.

My g/f had a recent international trip in which she had to check a bag. Her first leg was a domestic flight within the US to the gateway city and the international leg was from the gateway city to the international location.

Would you normally expect to be able to check-in and check your bag as long as you did so at least 45 min prior to your departure or would you expect to do so at least 90 min in advance?

She arrived about 50 min before her flight and was able to check-in and check her bag with no issues so I'm curious as to whether this is what one would/should normally expect or whether this was an exception?

2. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I leave from IAH for an int'l connection in EWR, I use the domestic rule of thumb to check in. I've not ever had a problem. I'm checking in for my int'l flight 4+ hours in advance because of the time it takes to get to EWR and connect.

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to take into consideration possible delays esp. to the NYC airports...

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not true that the general USA rule is 45 and 90 minutes. On DL, it is 30 from most airports for domestic but 45 and 60 for some airports. For DL international, the cutoff time is 60 minutes at all domestic airports AFAIK. You really need to check.