How early can you check your bags?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Nov 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an ~1:00PM flight in a few days. It would be convenient for us to check our bags with AA early morning and take care of some stuff around ORD before returning for our flight. So, in principle, how early could one check their bags before a flight?

Added Later: According to post #9 below, Advance Bag Check In is available in Chicago at McCormick Place and Kiss & Fly. Anybody used either service? For example, are they operational all the time, restricted hours, etc?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

My experience has always been that if you can check in for a flight, you can check your bags. This for me has usually been 24 hours in advance.

Aktchi likes this.
  3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    malikguy and marcwint55 like this.
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been down in the hold aka baggage area during the SMD4 airport ops tour, a better idea would be to have bag check your bags at the Hilton ORD until you're ready to check into your flight.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    While 24 hr is correct for OLCI, I am almost sure that it is not correct for checking bags because I have been told once or twice that I was "too early." It might depend on the airport but 4 hr comes to mind as the earliest that one can check luggage (this also presumes that a check-in counter for the airline is even open, which is not always the case at some airports). Like with most such things, however, exceptions might be possible depending on the circumtances...

Aktchi and marcwint55 like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've experienced Southwest limiting it to like. 3 or 4 hours but of course that doesn't effect ORD.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA and B6 also have similar limits. I do see a reference to 4 hours at MCO on the AA site but nothing more than that. I wouldn't expect to be able to drop them earlier than that.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have previously checked in bags more than four hours in advance. I don't know if it was a special favor or the norm. It was many years ago and prior to 9/11 so things may have changed since then.

9. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't directly answer the question (how early bags can be checked), but AA has 40 locations where bags can be checked in, in advance, remote from the airport. This service seemed to have started w/ cruise passengers and expanded to resort hotels, convention centers.

In Chicago, they offer two locations:

Chicago, IL McCormick Place Convention Center
    Kiss N Fly

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/advanceBagCheck.jsp

Aktchi likes this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    @ LHR, bags can be checked same day once check in opens. My niece is currently over the USA on her LHR-LAX flight....left LHR at 1200, but we checked her bag about 615am.

:)

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paranoia ran higher in the US than elsewhere after 9/11/01. I would not be surprised to find overseas airports that would check luggage for a legit flight if the counter is open for business, regardless of departure time.

12. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did 8+ hours before flight departure time in Bangkok, but with Thai Airways and on an international itinerary. Let us know what your final verdict ends up being with AA @ ORD!

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I called AA, they said it would be 4 hours before flight. I probably won't take the chance on simply driving to the airport and finding out the final verdict there. :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that for most US airports and airlines ~4 hr is the cutoff point. I am sure that for foreign carriers and intl airports rules vary even more...

Aktchi likes this.