How early can you check bags for next flight on a separate ticket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LAM, Apr 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    How early can you check bags on another airline for a flight on a separate ticket if you have a 10 hr layover during the day?

Flyer1976, gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It likely depends on which airline. Also, is the follow on flight on another airline on the same date as you first flight? I know that WN won't accept a bag more than about 3 hours prior to a flight.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It varies on airline. Approx times on ones I know: SW is 3 hours, Alaska is 4, Delta is 6, United is 4, AA seems to be anytime on same day. These also will change and vary depending on the airport as they have limits as well. It's a pain when you have a ticketed layover and hours on your hands. If your leaving the airport many hotels will store bags for you.
    Remember the good old days when you could smoke on the plane and they had lockers at the airport. Stupid terrorist.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    A generous tip to the SkyCap may keep your bag safe on the cart until the airline accepts it. Might buy you a few hours.

Flyer1976, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. Trying to help my parents with their 50th Anniversary trip. They disembark their cruise in Vancouver early and then are taking the cruise line bus to SEA. Their flight home is not until 10:30 PM on Delta. They would like to take the light rail into Seattle to see a few things but they will have bags. I guess if they want to do this they will have to pay to store their bags. At least SEA has this option.

Newscience and gregm like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an excellent point! Perhaps a generous enough tip to a right skycap would enable you to check your luggage many hours in advance of the usual check-in time. That is worth looking into.

gregm and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps. An inadequate tip may lead to this:

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.