How does status actually work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do upgrades work? Do you book a standard room and the hotel automatically upgrades you? For example, I just got Hilton Gold status which gives me room upgrades apparently. Do I book a standard room and when I get there if there is availability the computer automatically tells them that I get an upgrade or do I need to ask for one?

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am HH Diamond and it does not happen automagically... what I do is ask when I check-in if there is a possibility of an upgrade. On occasion if the trip or stay is a special occasion I call and speak to the manager before hand and explain the situation and ask what they can do to make the special occasion more special... helps most of the time

aptraveler likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on availability. For HH Golds and Diamonds it is supposed to be automatic depending on your on-property setting. If an upgrade is available and your choice is to receive an upgrade, then it should be given to you automatically. As a Diamond, I stopped requesting to be upgraded because after a while I noticed that it just happened without my having to ask. As a Gold a few years back, I often had to request an upgrade to get it...

aptraveler likes this.
  4. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's different for different programs. I'm a royal ambassador with intercontinental and I get a two category upgrade at time of booking. Usually whatever I booked shows up in my account and the following day the new room shows up. I think it's done manually during normal business hours at the hotel location.

5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had excellent luck with SPG Gold and now I'm working toward Platinum. Many times I have either been upgraded to a nicer room or even better given lounge access. It's nice to have a free continental breakfast every morning and the occasionally refreshment in the evening.

aptraveler likes this.
  6. rosiew

rosiew Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea either

7. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was HH Diamond for years and my upgrade success was proly in the 25% range at the check-in desk. I used to contact the manager about a week before arrival via email and request it, had better luck that way.

The best thing to do is research the property and see what the success rate is. FlyerTalk has entire threads dedicated to upgrade success stories at the various elite levels.

Good luck!

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found it to be more dependent on the hotel than the chain. For example, Starwood Platinum upgrades include Standard Suites. So what do you do when you check the website before check-in, see there are suites being sold, and are denied same on check-in? Some hotels are impeccable and follow the guidelines to the letter. Others make you jump through hoops, realizing that not everyone is willing to do that. To me, it's just sad.

That said, if I'm on vacation with my wife, I will be fairly forceful about getting my due - polite but forceful. I kept my side of the bargain in my stays/nights and I expect the same from their side. I once had an experience with the Andaz 5th Avenue where I was denied a suite I should have gotten. Went off to dinner before the Broadway show and contacted Hyatt. By the time I got back to the hotel, they "graciously" offered to move me to the suite I should have gotten in the first place. So very often, to me at least, it depends upon what you are willing to do? If it's just me, couldn't care less. But a vacation with my wife - the sky's the limit.

And please let me not overstate this - I have also been blessed with upgrades WAY beyond what I deserved. In the end, it's a game and you have to decide how you want to play. My experience is that anything other than top tier is dicey but at top tier, I'm willing to go to the mat!

rockyrock likes this.