How does standby work with luggage to check in?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife, who is a Gold, has a conformed flight at 11AM, but would like to standby for one at 9AM. Seats appear to be available. However, how does that work with a luggage to be checked?

I have done standbys a few times, but I prefer to travel with a carry-on only whenever I can, so don't have any experience with how it works with checked luggage.

2. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once you check your bags, you can't standby for an earlier flight.

3. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check your bags for the standby flight. If you don't make it they'll be waiting for you at you destination.

Aktchi and malikguy like this.
  4. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add to what basiface said, you must check your bags 45 minutes prior to the flight you want to stand-by for or you cannot stand-by for that flight.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure you can, so long as you indicate that you intend to fly standby as part of the check-in process.

Aktchi likes this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course there would be little practical point in standing by for an earlier flight if after arrival one had to wait around for the luggage, or return to the airport for it. So it would make sense to check it for the earlier flight. I suppose they could load it only if you get on, otherwise it goes on the later flight with you. A little hassle, but do-able.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you inform the agent at check-in that you are looking to fly standby they tag the bag appropriately so that it can be loaded on the earlier flight if you clear. It is pretty straightforward. Just have her remind the agent at the gate that there were bags if she clears so the GA can call down and make sure they get loaded on the flight.

Aktchi and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't do any of that. I just check it and forget it, lol. The couple of times in didn't make it my bag was waiting for me at the baggage office. It's actually faster than waiting on the belt!

Aktchi likes this.
  9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a bit of a risk in doing this -- and it's someone could take the wrong bag by mistake or possibly on purpose.

DTWBOB

Aktchi likes this.
  10. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. It would have to be on purpose because my bag isn't the norm and they'd be highly disappointed when they opened it, lol. Valuables always go in the carry on.

Aktchi likes this.
  11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gone standby with checked bags lots of times, but I think you can only do it domestically. Bags usually show up as originally scheduled.

12. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done standby & checked a bag @ LHR with no problem!;)