How Does Scott Kirby Help/Hurt United?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Aug 31, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    By now, I'm guessing most folks have heard that Scott Kirby has jumped from the role of President at American Airlines to the same role at United.

If you're a United elite member, what do you think of the change? Do you think this will help United improve their operations?

Does it accelerate some of the changes to the loyalty program, upgrades, basic economy, etc that Scott has spearheaded at American?

k69, tommy777 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this just another indication of how stagnant corporate thinking has become. First with AA providing a parachute that wasn't required and the with UA picking him up. Hopefully the one off / occasional flyer will be tempted / teased into flying more without the FF losing.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Dublin, I'm guessing the parachute was larger and had been in place for some time. As much as I might not like Kirby's ideas, he's probably a good addition to the UA team.

k69 likes this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    So now UA management is a railroad guy as CEO, an Allegiant guy as CFO and an America West guy as COO.

What could possibly go wrong?

I don't know him, but his track record speaks for itself. I can't see in any shape or form how Scott Kirby will be a positive addition to any organization he joins from a customers perspective. UA is trying to win customers back, not drive them away. The pleasing Wall Street exclusively plan was the Smisek plan. It didn't work

On Mr Kirbys watch US started charging for water in coach. But hey, right now it's incredibly hard not to make money in the US airline industry.

Garp74 and bmg42000 like this.