How does one actually get Avios rewards on British Air?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by amoxley, Dec 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. amoxley

amoxley Member

Status Points:
    I got the British Airways credit card which allows you one free companion ticket when you redeem Avois points on BA flights in any cabin category after you spend $30,000. However, no flights were available even a year in advance. Their card promotion is like a bait-and-switch and makes getting reward flights on BA as difficult as on Delta--both are lousy. Does anyone have suggestions on how to book BA reward flights using only Avios points, to Europe?

2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This might help. http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/04/08/british-airways-miles/.

What exactly are you looking for?

3. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you already hit the $30K? (damns!)

Personally I wouldn't recommend using Avios for flights to Europe because A) they are distance based awards, so they can consume more points than other airlines and B) you will likely have to pay hefty fuel charges. I use mine for short (under 650 miles) trips around Califoria, for only 9k Avios round trip.

Also you are right, the companion pass promo is kind of lame. I think you will still have to pay any taxes or fuel charges for the 2nd person. I don't even plan on trying to get one on my card.

That being said, if you need to use Avios for a Eurotrip, I am seeing some availability out there. I used a link when I was logged into the Executive Club that said "Book Flights with Avios" and my first couple searches found space, with $1000 charges, ugh!

Where are you trying to go to-from? That might help with the search.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Availability on BA is pretty good. For the companion pass you do need to be originating and ending from airports that they service.

5. amoxley

amoxley Member

Status Points:
    The link was very helpful for information on the BA Avios program.
    What I wanted was to book a reward ticket in Business class from SFO to Vienna and then back from Bucharest to SFO for next September 2013 and use my companion reward. But there were no reward flights available this October for the return leg and you have to book round trip to get the companion reward free. I know the fees are high but I am willing to pay $1000 to fly business class all the way--that is a good deal if you can get it.
    Also, when I try to check availability on the website, most times nothing happens and I cannot get the information I need.

6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trick is to search by segment. Try to find direct flights since avios charge you per segment. Since you want to fly BA you will have to go through LHR, so I suggest searching for flights from the west coast to LHR. When it comes to searching oneworld availability I like to use Qantas' website (registration required). I'm not seeing much out of SFO but are you willing to buy a positioning flight? There is a lot of direct flight availability out of YVR and one flight available from SEA on 9/17. There is tons of availability from LHR to VIE and likewise for OTP to LHR. Hope that helps.

rodeojones likes this.
  7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The key to the companion pass is you must fly on all BA metal, no other Oneworld flights. I'm not familiar with what airports BA serves, so check out where they serve and then you can figure out if you are going to need to purchase some positioning flights. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bloggers would have you believe that paying hefty fuel surcharges are a small price to pay to ride up front.
    Now for my editorial comment... :rolleyes:

MrAlexMoore and rodeojones like this.
  9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience redemptions in CW or F are easier to find to LHR and then buy other ticket separate. Whenever I've tried to go long (Paris,AMS, Venice, etc) no awards b/c it tries to make whole trip in business/first and the flight from LHR has Club Europe which rarely has award seats so then the BA search tool replies nothing available. I fly from Philly and there are two flights a day to LHR and I generally find availability.
    from the west coast I'd look at Seattle flights as I often get corporate award seats from there more so than out of Vegas or Chicago

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what your other options are. They're certainly a relatively small price, relative to the cost of a cash ticket in the same class of service. They're just as certainly not small in comparison to the fees from carriers who do not charge for fuel surcharges on awards.

11. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's all about being flexible with your dates and itinerary. When I started looking to book mine for next May there was nothing available for the outbound flight. I just kept loading up the different search engines until something worked with our schedule. For example... we have to fly out of LAS instead of LAX because it fit perfectly with the days we needed. Not horrible... we'll just fly SWA out to LAS before our flight. I agree that you need to look at the trip one segment at a time, right it down and when you call to redeem go flight by flight with the details. At the end of the day it can be a bit of a hassle to get everything booked but if you are only paying taxes for a seat in F that normally would run 10K+... I look at that as a win.

jwsky likes this.
  12. MrAlexMoore

Status Points:
    My current bankroll leans me towards the no fuel charge option. Maybe when I grow up I'll be more of a baller haha

Mikus33 likes this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alex, in the old days of Flyertalk, everyone always watched their money; and we watched it the same way we protected our award balances. In the days of MegaDo's, where many flyers have (or seem to have) the money for $2000 one week adventures, it's a different world. I guess the economy isn't as bad as we think. ;)

Or... maybe the bloggers have brainwashed us in to thinking that costly fuel surcharges are ok.
    Dad To Go, we're expecting a trip report one of these days. :cool:

MrAlexMoore likes this.
  14. MrAlexMoore

Status Points:
    There are different classes of MPers just like everywhere else. I would think that this hobby lends itself easily to the frugal types, but ballers can do the same things to become MORE... ballerous?

As for the economy... it might be worse haha

And as for companion tickets, I'm shooting for Southwest!