How does Milepoint make money?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by taiwaned, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Computers, staff, bandwidth, server space, gifts (ipads, luggage tags etc) office space and other overhead all cost real world dollars. How does milepoint make money? I know that there is ad space but that can't be all much revenue from that yet. There is as of yet no option to pay for ad free service.

I know it is not my business so feel free to say so but I am curious is to how.

2. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    You missed the tour of Randy's basement in COS. Milepoint makes money on an AB Dick four-colour offset press (when Randy can get the right paper).

mikeef likes this.
  3. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know Randy, milepoint is not there to earn money, at least not in the usual short term sight. It complements the other activities of the "House of Miles" group of businesses.

And IMO it's Randys way to gather his many friends together in a place where we can enjoy to be together virtually... :)

4. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have heard this term both on FT and now here, What is the "House of Miles"? and what kind of businesses does it run? I assume it is travel point based.

5. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its a fabulous story. The house of miles is at "1930 Frequent Flyer Point" in Colorado Springs. There are several websites:

www.frequentflyerservices.com/contact.shtml lists all or most of Randys activities at the house of miles

www.houseofmiles.com for a documentation on the building of the actual "house" - Randy: there is a tab on this website where it says: "You've watched. You've waited. Now you're wondering: "Just what is this House of Miles, anyway?" Stay tuned for a letter from Randy with our mission, our history, and other cool House of Miles facts." Is it part of the legend and mysterious tale that you keep us in the dark on this... ;-) :p

travelinmike33 and bobsgt like this.