How does milepoint differ from other travel forums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RonF, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RonF
    Original Member

RonF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a shot just a question. I'm curious what we as a community can expect from milepoint to be different and better than the many other blogs and forums related to travel.

decerbodsubs likes this.
  2. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a chance to start fresh without any corporate oversight.

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Milepoint is simply a community that gives everybody a chance to try and start new and apply the lessons we have learned from our participation in other communities. It is also a chance for the community to try and set new standards, as the community is small enough at the moment that the tone of the boards is not set in stone as it is on other sites.

MissBurrill, Cholula and agape2travel like this.
  4. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    This site sounds more top-heavy than FT. Instead of volunteer moderators the moderators will come from HOM.

I guess I always assumed Randy had more control over FT. I thought the whole "no avatars" and such were decisions he made since they weren't limitations of the forum software. Also it was a very recent thing for embedding pictures and embedding youtube is still not allowed on FT. Both work here. We also have the ability to create polls when starting a thread while on FT only moderators (or admins?) can create polls.

I do like the clean look of FT since some people still post pictures that break the format and the page loads quickly without avatars, but change is good. It does feel a lot more personal to see everyone's face all the time.

Wanaflyforless and agape2travel like this.
  5. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    With Randy, Gary (view from the wing) and Tommy (SAS forum mod) stepping down in their positions on FT to join this place I'm sure there's something going on here that warrants giving the forum a chance. With FTs immense archive of advice/tips/accounts etc as well as a very sizable and active membership I'm expecting MP to really enchant me in order to win me over in the long run however.

Here's to hoping it will.

travelingmore and agape2travel like this.
  6. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's obviously a lot of expertise invested in making this successful, starting with Randy himself, I'm really excited to have a seat for the test drive.

Bonnie, serfty and decerbodsubs like this.
  7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gather that milepoint is going to be a place where the seasoned FT members, travel bloggers, and travel addicts come to share their info in an environment where many people know each other.

8. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, which other community has Randy on board? Without Randy there wouldn't be a place called FT in the first place. Without FT many of us wouldn't know what they do know today. So, make an educated guess how this will go on ... [​IMG]

kiwi, k2o, Bobofoosh and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My take on this whole matter is that you can add any number of high-tech bells, whistles, smoke and mirrors but in the long-run it's going to be valuable content and a sense of community that wins people over to MilePoint.

And those are both developed the old-fashioned way by member posts and interaction, one step at a time.

It's going to take MilePoint a while to develop a loyal and devoted following but I'm very impressed with both the new members I've seen and with the website itself.

10. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    With Randy and Gary, Milepoint is sure to be a winner!

11. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully some of the info that newbies like myself on FT did not get will be handed out here. I have heard about lots of really great info/deals that never hits the board and only few people get via PMs because of old clicks/groups or whatever you wish to call it. My personal feelings are that a place like this only succeeds because of information.

Sarah likes this.
  12. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the sounds of things, I think mp is is going to have some twists and great features. My anticipation level is high.

Sarah likes this.
  13. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the main reason behind those decisions was to have FlyerTalk as optimized, as smooth and as efficient as possible, as the vBulletin bulletin board software that powers FlyerTalk is not able to handle those features as well as the bulletin board software that powers milepoint.com.

14. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting to see this new forum software as I am used to VBulletin. I like some of the new features like the ability to "like" a post which will avoid the +1 type of comments that draw threads out. I don't think even VB4.x has that feature. The smilies here are better and of course I love being able to have an avatar.

I think there are a lot of knowledgeable people both here and FT so I will visit both. I have to see how this one goes on the iPhone so I can read at work. I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

I hope you will have photo and video embedding? I know VBulletin does support this with hacks on 3.x and built in with 4.0.

kiwi likes this.
  15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can insert both photos and video by selecting the relevant icon when inputting a new post.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Cholula's take is dead-on, it's ultimately going to be all about the members. To me, getting involved with Randy on the new site is exciting and a wonderfully energizing fresh start. But it's what we all make of the community will matter. Randy and his team are just providing the tools, we'll ultimately need to be the ones that make this an information-rich, approachable and friendly place.

At the same time, remember that this group which is already here is seeing the 'private beta' version of the site. There are tons of features and initiatives that aren't in place yet. Lots of work to do on the look and feel as well.

Everyone is here seeing the bare bones offerings, to play around with it, to begin building content and learning. And everyone's experiences will go into decisions about what the place ultimately becomes.

So y'all are helping shape the community right now. There's lots more that can be done it with, it's all about your feedback to figure out which things make the most sense, which things work, what problems there are, before the site goes 'public'. Right now you can't even go to milepoint.com and even sign up! :)

kiwi and 2soonold like this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the question should be reframed to .... what will keep mile point above other travel blogs?

2soonold likes this.
  18. pitmueller
    Original Member

pitmueller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question, should be discussed in a few month time when we see how MP is developing.

19. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be interested to see what(if any) advantage comes of the "without any corporate oversight".

20. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I'll refer back to the previous post (selective quoting, yes ...):
    The answer is, "we will." Information-rich is pretty much guaranteed (once Randy's team can enable some more features), but keeping MilePoint approachable and friendly is up to us. If we can keep it that way (and I'm encouraged so far, even as we approach 2500 members), it will be a different place from other sites. And a better one.

Randy's giving us the home and the tools, but it's up to us to use those tools right to make this a better place in the long run.

mowogo likes this.
  21. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canarsie, there are 1000's of websites that use V-Bulletin and many have avatars, allow pictures and videos. One that comes to mind is SQtalk ! Just as there are many websites that use social networking software like this!

22. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We need to remember first of all, this is a work in progress...and so far, it is doing just fine....
    This is going to be about the members, and content....something FT has gotten away from. Also, as stated elsewhere, we believe FT will stagnate, as there is no further investment or development planned, while this site will continue to evolve-and grow with the needs of the members and staff....

I don't think Randy will lose sight of the true purpose and value of this site and community--something which the owners of FT have already done... and I thank Randy wholeheartedly not only for doing this, but for allowing those of us already here in on the ground floor to have a voice in the further development of this site.

cockpitvisit and ACMM like this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could not agree more - very well stated! [​IMG]

24. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be a cynic but it is impossible to build a vibrant virtual community of thousands who use anonymity as the vehicle of there interactions. Now a BB that uses real names is another story.

Yes I know that some members know each other personally but they are a minority.

The best any BB can expect is honest and frank communication while respecting diversity of opinion.

Social networking on the internet does not replace the real hard work of face to face communication over a good cup of coffee.

25. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't find FT (or MP) that anonymous. As you follow people's posts and actions and sometimes meet them in real life, you learn more and more about them - just like in real life. What's the advantage of knowing a real name?

There are very good reasons for hiding real names here, and it is mostly not to get anonymity here, but to protect one's interests in real life. E.g. if you apply for a job somewhere and they do a google search and discover that you enjoy caviar and champagne in F on a monthly basis, do you think this will improve your employment prospects? I doubt it.

kiwi and asmithLHR like this.