How does Google calendar know my family's birthdays?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sunseeker, Apr 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a new android phone. I was making a calendar and realized that I could work faster using the Google calendar on line. My family's names are in contacts (first names only), but their birthdates are not. I have never used Google calendar until today. I have never made an online list of birthdays. But 5 family birthdays are listed on the calendar. How do they do it?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The information had to be synced to the phone from some source, if not Google calendar, then Outlook.

Horse likes this.
  3. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't use outlook at all. And I don't put family member's birthdays on my calender. I know the dates well and don't bother.

4. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone in your family may have put them in :)

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it a regular gmail account or an apps account? Could be a shared calendar somehow with your spouse or children.

Do you have Facebook on your phone? Could be some sort of sync feature (this is probably my best guess of what is happening) and there is a sync birthdays option enabled.

6. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found that my Droid X had synched all my Facebook contacts info, to the point of distraction, before I deleted the Facebook from "my accounts" on the phone.

7. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a regular Gmail account. There is a Gmail app on the phone that was on the phone when I bought it. I have gone to Facebook via the browser, but I do not have a FB app on the phone as I am not a big user.

ETA: I just noticed that in my FB profile, the cell number from that new android is publicly listed. I did not put it there; heck the number is so new I don't know it well. So maybe it has something to do with FB.

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    What phone do you have?

9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    LG Optimus V

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Facebook is evil.

I noted one of my phones had dialed someone for whom I don't have the number. It was a new android phone on which I'd never dialed their number. But they are a friend on FB. The only possible place that the number could have come from is FB. I also noted that it does the same for birthdays.

The Facebook API does other evil stuff, too. Like randomly set itself to stay logged-in all the time. Or share your information with other websites, along with location information (I was sitting outside a business one day and used andriod web app to search the manufacturer site for pricing & alternate sellers. Lo and behold, I found myself "logged in" to the manufacturer's web site, location information present, and an invitation to post on their forum using my FB ID. I also got a "chat" request from mfr customer service folks addressing me by name.)

FB goes way, way too far. I am very close to outright canceling my FB account, and I already make sure I manually log off every time I use it on the mobile. I would outright remove the app, except that Verizon has made it nigh on impossible to remove unless I root the phone.

Facebook is evil.

sunseeker likes this.
  11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and the Oscar goes to.......

Oh come on with the dramatics! If FB was so evil, you wouldn't have an account. Period!

12. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    From articles I've read and recent events, Google is right up there in the evil domain when it comes to privacy. Facebook and Google combined seem to be the Axis of Evil!;)