How does business class opening up work?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by michael21, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a specific time frame that airlines open up their business class seats?

I am looking at the US airways flight US796 on Dec. 4th from PHL-TLV...When I search for two tickets, it shows that it is available. When I search for 3, it doesn't. But on the US site, all of them are free except one (I need 3).

Is it possible to book those two and another opens up? Is it arbitrary or is there a specific guideline they follow?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For awards? I think the generic answer is: once they have decided that they can't sell them for cold hard cash.

Or are you looking for revenue seats? In that case, the seat map may not be an accurate indicator as some people still don't request/select seats when they buy the ticket.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Award seats.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So yes, they think at this point that they will not be able to sell two seats, so they are willing to offer them as awards. It could be, as it gets closer to departure, that they open up additional seats as their data shows that the demand isn't there for the remaining 'for-sale' seats. But obviously no guarantee. it might be worthwhile posting this in the US forum for those who actually track US awards to comment on.

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    i travel with a family of 3 and often find only two seats available at the saver rate, I usually book my wife and son in those and wait sometimes to within a month rpior to flight to see if any aditional seats become available. or sometimes i will even book my seat at the non-saver level. at least with AA i have been able to redeposit the non-saver ticket and get a saver ticket when it became available by just paying the 150 change fee
    life is full of risks and you can get more rewards if you are willing to take more risks

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different airlines have different approaches, and some have different approaches on different routes :)

(I don't have any experience with US, so I can't help there.)

7. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not familiar with US airways, but sometimes the agents can put the itinerary on hold for those 2 award seats and then a few minutes later, the airlines' computer releases another 2 seats. I know TG use to do it in 1st class. They only released one seat at a time, but once that seat was taken, their computer automatically released the second one. I'm going on hearsay, but apparently they would release up to 7 award seats in first but only have them show up one booking at a time to their partners (this was through Aeroplan for a TG 1st booking). If this is the case, the agent would be able to combine the newly available seat reservation with the 2 seats from the reservation that is on hold. Again, not sure if US works like this but it is worth a shot maybe?
    Does this all even make sense??? :confused: Ask away if my ramblings are confusing...