How do you report when GoGo is not working on a flight?

Discussion in 'Gogo Inflight Internet' started by cova, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find too many times GoGo is not working. I know to ask the FA to check the ON switch. But beyond that there is nothing they can do. How do you report a system being down.

This morning.
    AA 1789 DCA-DFW 6am on May 5, 2012

I have a monthly subscription (not using for free) so I am not getting the service I paid for.

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Write the rep that is on MP.

3. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same flght as on May 5th

This morning.
    AA 1789 DCA-DFW 6am on May 19, 2012

Maybe the same aircraft as on May 5th.

How does gogo check for operation of the system?

4. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is another flight with gogo out of order - FA said sticker near switch indicating o-o-o. I asked FA for tail number. AA knew it was o-o-o and did not designate this flight as WiFi.

AA 1271 DCA-DFW on May 26, 2012. AA tail number 3FJ

5. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Best way to let us know is in live chat (gogo.to/gogochat) or in a DM on Twitter. Of course, we also keep an eye on what is here. Our network techs almost always know exactly which plans are impacted, but in some cases a customer or FA will beat them to it. Due to the nature of flight ops, we can't always get to a plane as soon as it is reported. If you have a monthly subscription, we'll obviously take care of making things right as best we can.

IDGflygirl and tommy777 like this.
  6. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    On this last flight with the listed tail number - I did a live chat from the next flight. Live chat agent suggested I send an email to customer service. The live chat agent did not have any specific way to record the out of service.

But thanks for the reply.

7. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    GoGo did not work on AA886 on 8/19/12 from DFW-DCA.
    Person next to me confirmed.

Aren't others here experiencing broken GoGo on some of their Flights?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've had only one flight with Gogo truly inop. Usually the system just needs to be turned on or restarted.

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Same here. I've only had one flight out of many that it has been truly out, usually a restart or them turning it on does the trick.

I chatted live and got a credit for it

10. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably have more AA flights than the two of you. Remember I had 63 segments for the 3 month contest. There is only an on and off switch. The FAs can't reboot the system.

I would say I have had GoGo not working on about 8 flights out of 100 - so around 8% (this year since Jan 2012). When it is out - others around me have the same problem - so it is not my PC. I use it on all my flights.

Sometimes one gets the connect signal but can't get through. On a couple of flights - AA did not advertise the flight as having WiFi even though it had the decals - since AA knew it was non-operational. However the other times it was mostly the satellite link being down.

I have had the FA's switch off and on - but again - it is really only an on/off switch. The FA's say they can't reboot. They call the pilot and he sees the signal - but I am not sure if he is sensing the WiFi signal in the plane or the satellite link.

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You probably have more AA flights than either of us but almost certainly not more than the two of us. ;)

tommy777 likes this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm quite sure we have him beat. ;)

I've had over 100 domestic segments since the challenge started last fall and it has been down for one flight.

If you get the signal and can't get through, it might be your computer and the wifi software. My company has a pre-installed wifi software on our Stink Pads. It makes it hard to connect to some networks and that's not exclusively to gogo. It might not be the case for you, but 8% sounds like a lot.

No problems on my Mac or any Apple devices.

13. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had over 140 segments on AA since the challenge started. I have posted some of my flights above that did not work.

In ALL cases when it doesn't work - I ask at least 2 other people if F if they are working and in ALL cases they are not working either. So not an issue with my laptop. Never had a situation where someone else worked and my laptop did not.

I always report to the FA, I have the FA check the on/off switch, I have the FA contact the pilot. I am very proactive on this. I ask the FA to ask the pilot for the Tail number, etc.

I am using windows to connect. Many others I see are iPads. We are are in sync. I am not sure how GoGo checks and services the systems.

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one on flights were GoGo is not working.

1/11/13 DCA-ORD AA561 6:10am

I am now connected on ORD-SEA - so it is not my laptop.
    Again - I see 10 % system down on AA GoGo flights. Having pilot check system and try to reboot - all they can do is report it.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd think GoGo's system would (be able to) know when a particular flight or aircraft has a problem if no passenger is able to make a connection.

16. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again - another GoGo out-of-service on AA M80.

2/2/13 DCA-DFW AA475 8:10am - out-of-order

AA removed the WiFi symbol from the flight status a few hours before, so AA knew it was broken.
    The FA should be the out of order sticker on the switch at the galley.
    I guess it is easier to put a sticker on the switch then get the system fixed.

I guess I am the only Milepointer that uses GoGo and sees a 10% + system down.

17. taffydude

taffydude New Member

Status Points:
    Oh boy....this is getting so tiresome. 5 of my last 8 flights this year on AA have had o-o-o Wifi! FA's are clueless and the Captain's don't seem to know anything about having gogo customer service on speed dial from the cockpit. When you call their customer service team after the flight all you get is apologies and platitudes. It doesn't seem to register that when you buy a monthly pass and there's o-o-o Wifi, you're simply not getting what you paid for! Seems like gogo's VP of Operations needs to either get to the bottom of what seems to be an ever increasing problem.......or WALK!

18. Headhawks

Headhawks New Member

Status Points:
    Gogo sucks. They did give me a 100% off. Was on USair flight from clt to pdx. Let customer service know and they said they would email me immediately the discount code. Needless to say they NEVER did. I had to wait 2 days til I got back home and then emailed costumer service. They claimed I never signed up for gogo... bad customer service. The idea concept is good just horrific customer service.

19. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used GoGo once. I attempted to use a free code and for some reason it wouldn't work. I live chatted with a rep and they supplied me with another code, no questions. I thought that pretty good customer service.

20. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I don't agree. Last year I had so many issues and reported many.......nothing from GoGo except some prefab text stating they are "continuously striving to make it better." And I'm getting older every day!!