How do you rank airlines for customer service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jbcarioca, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is mine:
    Apropos of nothing other than planning a birthday trip for my spouse and myself we were discussing customer treatment on various airlines/alliances. Thus, I decided to rank ours: From good to bad:
    1) AA: I'm EXP (8.7mm miles), spouse Plat. Every single time the call center is professional, fast and accurate. When I have a problem with another OW carrier the EXP desk solves the problem. That includes invol reroutes on BA when BA will not respond, BA compensation when I'm dumped without aid at LHR. Also solve problems of booking RTW including non-participants on OW global Explorer, like MH. The RTW desk is simply excellent.

2) AF( NOT us where it is DL): In France, Russia and Brazil they are helpful, courteous and responsive. For US see DL. Spouse is AF FB Plat, but I'm usually calling with my DL Diamond status. Last week leaving SVO for GIG my departure from SVO was delaying, causing me to miss my connection. AF rebooked me, matched my favorite seat, gave me vouchers for meals and handing me my new BP's, all without me saying a word. The FA gave me my new information was we were taxiing to the gate. Nobody else has been quite so elegantly efficient as this for delays.

3) EK: I'm Gold (that's as high as it gets, so far. Despite lots of criticism I have never had problems. They always send the cars when they say they will, inflight treatment is excellent and they consistently radio ahead and rearrange anything I need rearranging. Note: The only class I have flown in EK is F. I know that makes a huge difference, but I also use them for the short 2 1/2 hour hop GIG-EZE, where the same is true, although the car are not free on that leg.

4) US: They try, but they're ignorant and sometimes incompetent, but always polite. They know nothing about international flights, especially their only South American route CLT-GIG. They have zero knowledge of non-US awards or ticketing. A merger with some carrier that knows international ops might help.:eek: so long as they're not the surviving management.

5) DL: The Diamond desk makes a pass at being polite, but I have rarely had success on any query other than the odd SWU. There are a couple call center people who are very, very good, but I do not often get them. DL is notoriously unhelpful for RTW, paid or award. . Any late arrival, missed connection etc must be dealt with on the ground in ATL. There is no attempt to anticipate rerouting IME. Many of these problems probably relate to the truly horrible IT and the total absence of useful ST integration.outside the US, AF manages to do it, so why cannot DL? I detest DL for their awful inflight service and poor treatment.

6) SU: Inflight they're great. Their intra-Europe business class is the best one there is. They're consistently ontime. BUT, they have truly world-class awful call canter support and on-ground customer service. I fly them for the inflight excellence and try to ignore the rest.

7) BA: I was a BA Gold, now nothing, and trying to decently unload my remaining Avios before they expire. Not only to they have the worst CW product ever known, but the inflight food and service have declined recently and ground customer service is a disaster zone. Even when there is the rare day with no LHR delays, the service levels are appalling. When something is wrong the telephones, including elite lines, do not answer and the queues, even for FC, are hundreds of people long. They refuse to pay the compensation they admit is their responsibility to pay. To make certain they're not inconvenienced by irritated FC customers they simply do not staff arrivals in the event there is a late arrival at night. Sometimes I cannot avoid BA, but I take extra connections and apy extra to avoid them when I can.

So, that is my experience in a nutshell. The "surveys" seem to distort reality IME, probably because they survey mostly casual passengers and also allow ballot-box stuffing.

I know YMMV, so I think it would be very interesting to hear about yours.

miles and smiles and IDGflygirl like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the distortion is likely more based on the fact that far fewer people fly in paid F with top tier status, not that there is ballot-box stuffing.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH, The bottom three on my list often are less poorly ranked, (SU not often appearing in NA, more often in Europe) by surveys. One would think that paid premium passengers would be treated better than kettles, especially by airlines such as BA, would you not agree?

4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly enough to be able to comment very intelligently, but I did have a recent positive experience with AC in the middle of a fogged-in weekend from hell in YHZ. See here for the full story.

The key is that they were proactive, and dealt with the situation to get people where they were going with a minimum of fuss in a situation that was not of their making.

jbcarioca likes this.