How do you practice your hobbies when you travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by misman, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've discussed exercising and dieting while traveling (and the ensuing issues that entails) in other threads.

Many of us have hobbies other than flying (gasp); how do you practice your hobbies when you travel?

My hobby is singing Barbershop, whether in a quartet or chorus experience. When I was new to the hobby, I was surprised to learn how easy it was to find a chapter (chorus) meeting near my travel locations. Usually one email and/or phone call and I have a ride to and from the meeting. This provided instant comradery just about everywhere.

kayet and akide like this.
  2. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    flying is my hobby =p and also plane spotting! my office is just on the flight path at YYZ, and i'm always staring out the window whenever the active runway is on for planes over my office haha!

misman, Gargoyle and kayet like this.
  3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golf and travel go well together.

misman and kayet like this.
  4. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some hobbies are easy to do at home or on the road.

I enjoy exploring and taking pictures of places I've been.

I also like playing the game Go (also called Wei-Chi). There are many computer/mobile device version of it, allowing you to play solo (or against someone when you have wifi access). My current favorite is a program called Many Faces of Go.

misman and kayet like this.
  5. kayet
    Original Member

kayet Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite hobbies are reading, knitting, crocheting and sewing - three out of four travel well[​IMG]

misman likes this.
  6. ofohsho
    Original Member

ofohsho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I travel precisely to escape my "hobbies" and to explore what there is outside of my usual interests. I don't feel the same on the road/in the air as I do back home, so what appeals to me at home rarely feels right when I travel. Anyway, I find that if you want to keep up your hobbies while traveling, you have to block out the distractions of travel (and what's the fun in that?).

However, some hobbies translate well to traveling so I do these at home and on the road:
    • riding trains
    • browsing libraries/bookstores
    • writing
    • "urban hiking" (walking around cities--a lot)
    • learning languages
    • scoping out strange products in grocery stores (works especially well when the label is written in a language you only partially understand)
    • not sleeping

misman and Tkey like this.
  7. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes touring local grocery stores. Urban hiking is also high on my list, next to wilderness hiking. Basically, any hiking.

wiredboy, ofohsho and misman like this.
  8. brianb032
    Original Member

brianb032 Active Member

Status Points:
    Easy. I love writing, reading, learning/practicing foreign languages, occasionally clubbing, and taking photos. So I can pretty much do any of these anywhere. :)

misman likes this.
  9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading and travelling go great together as well. I just hate reading on the plane so I tend to read at the resort/hotel.

misman likes this.
  10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel is my hobby, and there are travellers everywhere to help keep the addiction fueled.

kwai, misman and Pat89339 like this.
  11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel and photography are my hobbies. But sadly when I'm in a known area I rarely take a camera with me. Maybe it's just more impetus to go someplace new.