How Do You Get AA/Citi to STOP soliciting you for their CC?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Art234, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have been inundated with credit card offers from AA/Citibank over the past few years. I get about 2-3 letters PER WEEK offering me their cards, which I do not want.

I have tried calling both AAdvantage AND Citibank to be removed from their list, and both promise to do so, but the volume of offers actually increases. Does anyone know who to contact to make it stop once and for all???

Thank you!

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once sent back a sollication letter....marked DECEASED.....the sollicitations stopped.... :D

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    What really drives me crazy about these offers I keep getting is they won't let me use them anyway. All the AA cards are useless until they get rid of the "NEW CARDHOLDERS ONLY" policy. C'mon Citi either stop sending me the promos or let me take advantage of them.:confused:

5. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    That just works for companies you don't have a relationship with. If you have an AA number, AA can still send you offers for its credit card.

I get one at least monthly.

jbcarioca, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, didn't realize that...

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well unless AA begins to honor the wishes of its members, I see trouble ahead. At one point they were making inquiries on my credit score monthly....I had to stop that by blocking them.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a US site that puts you on a Federal Do Not call list. That works, but you need to list yourself and anybody else in your household by each name in which you are receiving unwanted solicitations:
    Here it is for telephone calls: https://www.donotcall.gov/
    For mail it is done by the Direct marketing Association, to which almost all credit card issuers belong:
    http://www.directmail.com/directory/mail_preference/Default.aspx

erthcrclr likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is slight good news. If you do not solicit the credit, the unsolicited inquiries do not count against your credit score. Nobody counts it against you that you are receiving promotional offers.

10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of returning the solicitations with the deceased message. I'm just curious, will that screw up your credit report or background check info in anyway? I'd hate to have a background check for work purposes delayed for conflicting data.

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It certainly could do so. I was executor on my father's estate, and it was amazing how fast "word" got around, even though we didn't formally notify the credit reporting agencies.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a couple of unsolicited insurance and credit card offers I received yesterday:

PRESCREEN & OPT-OUT NOTICE

This "prescreened" offer of ... is based on information in your credit report indicating that you meet certain criteria. ... If you do not want to receive prescreened offers of ... from this and other companies, call toll-free at 1-888-5OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688); or write: (Equifax/Experian/Transunion addresses omitted due to laziness)

13. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just ran across this article today, it has a link to the Federal Opt Out Prescreen website.

14. Frenchie Flyer

Frenchie Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before I was a Capitol One convert, they used to send several solicitations a week. I could hardly keep them all shredded. I would call and they would promise to take me off the mailing list. They never would. So I wrote a letter to the CEO and that stopped it immediately.