How do you describe this hobby of ours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Ed Chandler, Dec 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

Just curious how everyone describes this hobby of ours to others. I'm sure there are some cleverly succinct solutions out there, but I'm often at a loss.

What verb do you use for it? I often tell my wife that I have some "pointing" to do, but that's clearly a bad choice. Likewise, when it comes up at parties, I find myself saying, "It's like extreme couponing ... only for travel."

What say you all?

Kalboz, Aktchi, BWIflyer and 5 others like this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    (And no, saying "I don't call it anything because there are only so many Vanilla Reload cards out there to go around." is not an answer.) ;)

Kalboz, Aktchi, MrAlexMoore and 4 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not refer to it at all, except to fellow addicts. As with many addictions, my view is that hiding it in plain sight may be the best option.:D Thus, silence!

Aktchi, MX, FlyingFree and 5 others like this.
  4. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A life changing hobby that will drive you crazy, but it's worth every second when you are on a trip or save some money.

Kalboz, FlyingFree and Gargoyle like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to travel. I generally don't go into details as to how I fund it.

6. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    i was thinking how I'm going to explain that to DHS on my Global Entry interview next week.i'll stick to the good old "points game"...:)

Kalboz, FlyingFree and Gargoyle like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Luckily DHS didn't ask in my GE interview. They just looked at the passport stamps, asked if I travel for business (no) and that was it.

Friends know that my travel is my obsession and accept it even if they don't understand it.

Kalboz and anabolism like this.
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    "We love to travel, and work very hard to maximize our enjoyment and experiences while minimizing the cost. It takes a lot of time and effort but is well worth it to us."

Kalboz, Aktchi, FlyingFree and 3 others like this.
  9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually flying isn't our hobby -- traveling by trains and getting mileage on lines that don't normally have passenger service is ....

and to do that we have to get there -- which in turn means flying as comfortably as we can as economically as we can, ergo the cross over (any pun intended !) and thing nothing of working a MR or SR into the trip so that we can get that much more rail mileage.

DTWBOB

Kalboz, anabolism and malikguy like this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this charter service on lines without regular passenger service?

(In my younger days I was a train geek. Way back when I was in high school I worked as a volunteer on a local railroad, operating a midweek freight run, and helping out on weekends, usually rebuilding ancient steam locomotives we used for our tourist passenger service, and sometimes operating that service when they were short-handed.)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Travel junkie."

Then again, I am more into the travel and less the points so that is actually what I'm doing.

Aktchi, Bill N DC, JoeCortez and 4 others like this.
  12. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too true. Although points are a good vehicle for traveling :)

uggboy likes this.
  13. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Our interviews (mine and my wife's) are back-to-back on our wedding anniversary. I'll tell you, fellas, nothing says "I love you" like a few hours in O'Hare's international terminal. :confused:

14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sitting here and writing this from a Madison Suite at the St Regis Hotel in NYC - all on points and an incredible upgrade- it's easy. We love to experience the sort of luxury few can afford and do it for next to nothing save the time it took (and continues to take) to learn the tricks of the trade. Speaking of which, next big one will include RT First Class Cathay Pacific JFK to BKK next month!!!

15. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am an international educator, so flying and traveling on all kinds of modes is part of the way of life and job at times. Of course, since I am in the teaching field, one must save for those amazing trips. Amongst other international educators, my lifestyle is natural. Some are even interested in the miles and points, especially those with families. Amongst those who don't travel as much, I am completely and utterly bonkers. I allow myself a 2 minute prattle to others, and then stop, since no one likes an obsession unless it is a shared one. :)

16. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes -- though we call them 'excursions'

see nrhs.com for a trip we're planning to take in Alaska next Sept.

DTWBOB

17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like what anabolism and HaveMilesWillTravel said. It's about the travel. The miles and points are an enabler, not an end unto themselves.

I have found few friends/families/colleagues that are interested in the details. Maybe they don't want to devote the time and brain space that it takes. Or maybe they don't see the value for themselves.

18. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simply put it is a "disease" . . .:)

19. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the only one I would gladly contract! But you may be right on the money. As others have said, most people DON'T want to catch it!

Surface Interval and Kalboz like this.
  20. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Years ago as a young man, I knew that I wanted to experience the world, but since I work in the non-profit sector, I knew that I would never be wealthy. Then, I saw an article by some guy named Randy Peterson (;)), explaining how I could take what airlines and hotels were offering me and fulfill my dreams. As they say, the rest is history. When talking with friends, it's all about the travel and the experiences, and not much about the process. I am grateful for the MilePoint community, both for the shared information, and to realize that there are many folks who are a lot crazier about the quest for miles and points than I am!

Aktchi and Bill N DC like this.
  21. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The average coupon-er saves a few bucks with their order.
    The average person here generates 100's of 1000's of miles and points annually through flying/staying/churning. You tell me which is better. ;)

theworldofmarye and MrAlexMoore like this.
  22. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha, I kind of like 'pointing'. I usually say things like 'working for cheap travel' or 'hoarding miles' with people that don't know what I do. Within a minute or 2 they roll their eyes and I try to change the subject... With people who already know, I like 'travel nerding'.

Someone needs to come up with something better. I don't think I've heard anything great yet

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Bill N DC

Bill N DC Active Member

Status Points:
    Around the Office, I'm the 'Travel Geek' :cool:

24. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat. I don't volunteer the information, especially when people don't seem interested. If asked, I simply say I "collect" miles and points. That usually ends it. If however that leads to more questioning, I'm happy to share whatever I know. :)

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  25. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't say anything. I just listen to them and smile.