How do you decide which blogger to support (give money, points)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by estnet, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the Chase Ink bonus was announced there was a deluge of bloggers announcing it. Some (all?) the links get the blogger money, points or other "goodies".
    BTW does anyone know how much the links are worth?

So my question is - how do you decide which one to use (and presumeably give the blogger something)? In the past I've chosen someone who had given me useful information over time and had a disclosure of what they were getting (eg 500 points for each referral). Now there are too many jumping on the referral goldmine IMHO and this makes deciding which link to use more problematic (and maybe more important).

What do you do to decide which link to use?

SuperKirby and Kalboz like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally choose none of them. On the one occasion where I actually wanted the card and there was no non-affiliate link available, I chose someone who actually contributes regularly and meaningfully on this site instead of being solely focussed on building their own revenue-generating community of blog groupies ;)

Aditya Vyas, craz, rockyrock and 8 others like this.
  3. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem supporting bloggers who inform me of valuable information. In the beginning I did everything the TPG because that was the first blog I found. Once I found the MP community and other bloggers I spread the wealth. I go through a blogger whenever possible (as long as they have the best offer).

Cdnblue, mrx900, Kalboz and 5 others like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use whomever you consider to be the most helpful blogger. I see no particular reason not to support one of the people you find helpful.

I have heard informally that referral commission tend to be in the $30 to $50 per approval with the more elite cards (generally, cards with large non-waived fees like AMEX platinum) getting up above $100 per approval. I can't vouch for these numbers, but I'm sure in any event It isn't chump change.

garyst16, Kalboz, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applied for two of the Ink cards. Assuming I get approved on both (a long shot) someone will likely make $300+ off of my activities.

I do benefit from the blog content so I did support a blogger.

Generally when I think about it I look to pick, I look for a/the blogger whose content I value. That would be one who covers non-credit card offers frequently, supports the broader community and writes in a way that I appreciate. At other times it’s the blog that I happen to be reading (out of many) when I decide to take the plunge.

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I typically find trip reports the most useful - as I can use them to plan which carriers I want to fly, and which lounges I want to visit. Since I can only go on a big trip every few years, I can't sample them on my own.

So on the off-chance that a blogger has a link for a card that I am going to apply for anyway, I'll go with the blogger who's had the most useful trip reports recently (useful can even mean that I know which carriers to avoid).

FlyingFree, Kalboz, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of comments about bloggers who have become more a sales agent for credit cards than a "full-service" information source. But those of us who read them religiously know who the good ones are. I have no problem supporting those who make a positive difference in my life.

In terms of the Lufthansa cards, I chose to get mine through Gary and my wife's through Daraius. We're all adults and we can make informed decisions. And I have NO problem supporting those who have taught me the ropes and continue to provide me with ongoing benefits. I really believe that those who just act as shills will see their readership diminish and will cease to be relevant.

8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    that's easy! Mommypoints! ;) (but I'm her age, with kids her age, and feel a connection)

gleff, Gacspeech, mommypoints and 6 others like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The troubling trend seems to be that blog content is duplicative, not additive. The barrage of posts trumpeting the Ink bonus was sad, at best.

One popular blog now has a political bent. Another continues to be endless pictures of the blogger in F or in hotel suite. Neither is especially informative to me. Seth's blog is the best and no one is in second place. I respect and admire his tendency to only post when he has value to add.

Scottrick, TravelBear, SM105 and 6 others like this.
  10. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to note that I find the endless pictures of F valuable in planning my own trips :)

Although I do agree I was slightly disappointed with the amount of duplication over the Chase Ink Bonus. At least the three you mention have content other than shilling cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please support a blogger if s/he happens to provide you with advice or insights that you can actually use to have great trip while also saving money -- money that you can just turn around and give to the blogger in appreciation! My view, however, is that the best blogger of them all in terms of the variety of opinions offered is right here, with a name that says it all: MilePoint ;)

gleff likes this.
  12. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the problem of duplication is due to there not being that much stuff to actually talk about in a blog, also many of these bloggers have readers that only read one travel blog, i know this is shocking.
    one side note a lot us us read many travel blogs each day so we dont miss the latest deal, then we get mad that they all tell us the same latest deal, just like us wanting it they all want to tell it, if you get tired of them all spouting the same thing pick one and just read it you will not see lots of duplicates, if you worry about missing one beacause it might not be posted on the blog you choose read them all and dont get mad at duplicate content

LETTERBOY, tulane09 and iolaire like this.
  13. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My only problem is if a blogger doesn't disclose if it's an affiliate link or not. It's also on the reader to do their homework on the best links available.

LETTERBOY, iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  14. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's all about who you think gives you the most "bang for your buck" in terms of quality information. There are probably 2 bloggers that I first started reading at the beginning and still read each and every day. They have very insightful blogs and keep me interested. Plus... I think they are very open and honest with their reviews and aren't only trying to make a profit but inform you. Having said that... like others have said you don't have to go through a blogger in most cases to get the sign up bonus. If you go through the credit card issuer themselves you don't need to worry about choosing who you support. Follow your heart :p

estnet, jrp2, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I support and use affiliated online links to credit card applications of bloggers who benefited me personally and who show genuine interest in helping travelers and others like us who are in the habit of collecting miles/points. I met quite few of the bloggers during the last two FTUs that I attended and most (if not all) are nice people and genuinely interested in helping others. Them making a living doing what they do (blogging) is of no consequence to me, and if I can "pay them back" by using or promoting their blogs, so be it.

They are many of them that I like to use and would highly recommend, so let's name names:
    • View from the Wing
    • Million Mile Secrets
    • One Mile at a Time
    • Extra Pack of Peanuts
    • Points & Travel
    • Dan's Deals
    • Loyalty Lobby
    • Loyalty Traveler
    • The Points Guy
    • Frequent Miler
    • Frugal Travel Guy
    Etc. etc. etc.

FlyingFree, gleff, mrx900 and 4 others like this.
  16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    (This is not to criticize you, but to use your comment as a jumping off point.)

It is possible to go direct to the source and likely I do it sometime (i.e. maybe the AA MasterCard last week), but there is so much money on the table I find it sort of mean spirited to intentionally make an effort not to give any blogger the revenue from your application. We are talking huge amounts of money say $25-$150, for zero effort on our part; why not reward someone's hard work?

Just the fact that others and myself can voice complaints about the bloggers means that we are reading them, and in some way deriving value – or else we would not be reading them – so it’s best to support those blogs that we value the most.

jrp2, particlemn and Kalboz like this.
  17. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I choose which blogger to support by which one I enjoy the most. Defining "enjoy" is a lot like defining "value". It's a personal thing that only the reader can determine. Personally, I like Ben from onemileatatime the most. I enjoy the trip reports, his writing style, and his sense of humor. If I'm going to apply for the card anyway, why not help him or one of the others out. It's an easy way for me to say thanks for all the work with no real effort on my part.

Though I enjoy travelling, and many bloggers do it in a premium cabin, I have imagined that having to take pictures and documenting your experience can be come tiresome after a while. I'm not saying that it's a bad "job" to have. However, when I fly I do take the occasional picture and what not and have thought how it might become a grind trying to document the whole experience. Sometimes you just want to get onboard, eat, and go to sleep. I guess it's why I'm not a travel blogger. :)

Kalboz, LETTERBOY and iolaire like this.
  18. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I agree with you. I go through a blog 99% of the time. I was just pointing out that you don't have to. If that person feels that nobody deserves it that's okay.

I'm with you though... The amount of knowledge that I have received from reading certain blogs has been so valuable and allowed me to go on trips that never would have been possible without the material that I picked up by reading those blogs. They deserve the kickback that they get.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  19. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I go thru the ones I know and met---mostly everyone has the same info these days. I actually setup my blog to help my friends and family, who were bombarding me with emails and phone calls, which didnt leave me any time to enjoy the comforts of life, like a nice rich latte with some Walker shortbread cookies..., so the blog made it wayyy easier to spew information!

Kalboz likes this.
  20. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

I agree with this. I recently redeemed Avios for two business class tickets to DUB on EI. I must have read Lucky's trip report a million times and found it immensely helpful.

My next churn will include at least one app via his affiliate link as a way to say thanks.

Kalboz, gleff and Dad to GO like this.
  21. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I am also in the category of "none of the above". I generally don't care for the bloggers and their incessant whoring for money. I mean, when the Ink small business week promos came out, 90% of BA was covered in "Pick me! Pick me!". How useful. :rolleyes:. Honestly, the bloggers that I like that provide useful trip reports and information, are generally the ones who do not post affiliate links anyway...not like some of the others who post something about credit cards every other day, filled with links everywhere. I don't see any reason to give them any extra money, since its not like they are giving me something by using their link. If I got a better deal, sure...or if they kicked me back some of the $. :)

estnet and iolaire like this.
  22. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you are sick of reading hard sells of credit cards, how about reading a website that strives to list all of the miles offers, credit cards and otherwise, and briefly mentions all new offers on one page? Modesty prevents mentioning where you might find such a website...

Kalboz, Muerl and iolaire like this.
  23. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:

I've never knowingly used an affiliate link and never will. I hate what the affiliate money does to blogs. Look at what has happened to TPG, Milevalue, MMS, and others. Loyalty Traveler had a blog post about a month or so ago talking about the affiliate business model. He pointed out that when bloggers agree to get in bed with the banks the banks expect the blogs to not just keep the clicks coming but to increase the amount of referrals over time if they want to keep their affiliate status. This is why every blog inevitably turns into an infomercial once they get into the affiliate model. I hate the business model and won't support it, so I never apply with affiliate links. I would encourage everyone here not to use affiliate links as well.

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and I forgot to add The Value Traveler to the list above ;)

mrx900 likes this.
  25. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel that that is more of a folly of the man than of the system.

RTC got an Ink card from me because I have found that I enjoy reading his content, and his ways of traveling and experiencing things are similar to mine. And because he was not pushy about it.

Seth has gotten clicks from me for the same reason.

Other times it goes to people who maintain lists of resources, of both affiliate and non links, because the non links can be just as helpful.

Were there way to many articles about the Ink deal this week? Unquestionably. But again, that's the nature of the beast. People react to the market, sometimes poorly.

OceanBreezes likes this.