How do you cope with being grounded?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Jul 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been grounded for three months, and it sucks. I'm heading back to LHR on the 13th, and to my delight I have added another trip to MCO on my return in late September/early October. I had a friend ask me tonight about meeting in Vegas, (obviously I was all in) so I'm looking forward to that trip as well. I'm just not used to being grounded for so long, and I'm getting a little antsy.

How long of a grounding gets you anxious? I guess my max is 3 months. I've been on this forum since my downtime and feel sub-par as a member since I'm not flying. I'll be sure to post a trip report of my upcoming trips and my surprise trip in either Rome or Barcelona.

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends. I do not consider flying DL shuttle as trip, neither are trips to SJU. About two -three months gets me anxious.

jbcarioca, uggboy and DCtrAAveler like this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly...it's the only way around it. I either fly or I buy a bunch of random crap I don't need and never use...so flying is definitely the better use of funds.

desamo, kiwi, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  4. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sets in pretty quickly for me. I'm home not quite two weeks now from a RTW, nothing on the books until September, and I'm already feeling twitchy ;)

5. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Setup your timeline and go for a good trip.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was grounded for four months, but was still traveling by rental car since it was too close for me to fly. It is funny that when I was driving, I missed being able to have someone else move me from point A to point B but when flying I get annoyed by security, delays, and having to worry about weather.

Keep in mind that both being grounding and always flying have their benefits and disadvantages. For me anymore it is trying to find balance between the travel bug and enjoying being at home.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree it's about finding a balance. I've spent way too much time away from family the last two years, would welcome a grounding. I do enjoy to travel but it doesn't fuel me as much as it used to. Now, flying somewhere new or interesting......

IDGflygirl and ConsultingChris like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been grounded for very long, but I am expecting to enter a no-fly month beginning on or about 14th September. Although I have zero choice in the amtter and I really do need the uninterrupted grounded month I am already worried. I have no idea how to deal with it. Will I have the DT's (Denied Travel disease)? Almost certainly.:eek: What will I do? How can I cope? Does anybody have advice about how I can prepare?

I'm happy for you that your grounding has ended!:)

9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever you do during the month on the ground, don't think about airplanes. ;)

I tend to fly most in the second half of the year. At least, that's what my flight diary says. So I've only had 4 trips so far this year and now 7 booked in the next couple of months with more to come by year end.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think 3 months is about my maximum as well. I end up either going on long road trips, or a weekend flight to somewhere to get it out of the system. I didn't have to fly in June, so I drove to the Grand Canyon and back, ringing up about 3,000 miles of driving. I'm able to work remotely at times, so it didn't cost me that much vacation time, making sure that the driving days were filled with meetings on the phone for the most part, and product demonstrations where I could stop and get wireless to do a presentation. Once I was at the Canyon, I was able to take a few days off and hike around, chilling out. Then I was able to drive back, filling in the day as before.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. jbc, upon seeing this advice, laughed uproariously (a trifle rudely, I might add) and suggested that recommending the impossible might be '...a bridge too far...'. Possibly she's correct. She just looked around my office and counted the aircraft photos and models, then looked at all the airline program tags, then began to laugh again. I shall try, I suppose.:confused:

YULtide and sobore like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs J sounds like a perceptive person. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    She is, but she does have a major flaw in her choice of men. She's been with me for more than 35 years and has not left yet. I'm waiting to see if she'll ever allow me to leave probationary status.

boondr, YULtide, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  14. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the shakes around 3-4 weeks of being grounded. :p

kiwi and jbcarioca like this.
  15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get itchy feet after 2 weeks grounded. The current grounding (which will be close to 6 months when it ends) is, I think, the longest I've ever been grounded (since birth).

Planning future trips helps a bit, but is a poor substitute.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 9 months into being ground due to a job change. I'm definitely feeling twitchy, but working on my pilot license helps with that feeling. But I can't wait to get out of the country again soon- most likely in the fall if plans fall into place.

17. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah.. definitely starting to feel an itch for not being on a plane. got a decent travel schedule lined out, and it's good not to spend too much time traveling during the summer.

much better in my opinion to fly during low season.