How do we save a six-year old girl from being traded to pay off a debt?

Discussion in 'InsideFlyer Cares | community giving' started by jetsetr, Apr 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was reading this NYT article about an Afghan father who will likely have to trade his six-year old daughter and give her hand in marriage to a 17-year old in order to settle a $2500 family debt that was incurred to pay medical bills.

This disgusts me. I'm not so naive as to believe that this abhorrent practice doesn't happen in some way, shape, or form every day in some poor (and not-so-poor) parts of the world, but reading this personal plight makes me think that surely something can be done to prevent this tragedy. I mean, we might not be able to save everyone, but surely we can save at least this little girl, right? All it would take is 100 people to donate $25. I still can't wrap my head around how absurd this is.

How does one go about saving the world one person at a time? What's the best way to try and solve *this* case? Seriously, do I start up a Kiva fund? Front the money myself? I am literally looking for suggestions here.

I consider myself lucky to be able to travel as often as I do, usually on purely leisure trips. I would seriously consider flying to Afghanistan and paying off the debt myself. Surely as hell puts some perspective on the mundane crap that I thought constituted "problems" in my life.

travelpye and catgirl like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    This story has a happier ending as an anonymous donor has offered to pay this debt but it is sad that even today, we see human trafficking, especially young girls sold into servitude or betrothed to older men. We have to break the attitudes that see children as commodities. I would have been happy to join others in helping settle this families debt. I would be happier to donate to help change the attitudes and offer better opportunities so families do not use this as a recourse of settling debts or earning money. Like you, I am at a loss as to how and where to start.

3. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

travelpye likes this.
  4. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the link to the follow-up article:

travelpye and jetsetr like this.