How do the miles count when traveling over New Year for elite status?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jpeace, Nov 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jpeace

jpeace Active Member

Status Points:
    I am leaving on Dec. 26 but not coming back to Jan. 4. Will both segments count in 2013 toward elite status or only the first part on Dec. 26,2013. All I need to retain Platinum status is 4,000 miles of which I would get on my return flight in Jan.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, only the flights actually flown in the year count toward that year. They normally would be calculating monthly summaries before or by your return flight.

wrxmom likes this.
  3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only your Dec. 26 flight will count toward 2014 status. Flights in 2014 will count toward 2015 status

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except for challenges, status miles only add for flights flown (or, more accurately, schedule to depart) during the same calendar year. The counter is reset to 0 and starts all over again on Jan 1. It seems that you'll need a MR to requalify for your status.

5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's based on the date your flight departs. I fly almost every year departing 31 December, arriving 01 January. This flight credits to the December year. Connecting flights departing 01 Jan credit to the Jan year, regardless of being booked with flights in the prior year.

Garp74 and Microwave like this.