How do I use a United Goodwill Electronic Certificate?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by cgriffiths, Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how to use a Goodwill Electronic Certificate from United on its new website? I haven't been able to figure this out. It's asking me for a PIN, which my e-certificate from last year doesn't have and I'm in an urgent need for booking a ticket, and of course I can't get through to them by phone either. Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. If you can't get an answer right away and must book your ticket, can you perhaps use the cert on a later trip if it isn't close to its expiration date?

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I think you just enter in the e-certificate number in the "offer code" box. Unless you're talking about something else.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the PIN be the PIN for your FF account? Have you been logged into your account before making the reservation and trying to use the cert? (With DL, one must first log in, then enter the cert number before starting to search for flight segments apparently, but I haven't tried this on UA or CO.)

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did this two weeks ago on the old CO site, so I assume it's the same deal. I'm not exactly sure I remember what I did, but I think I waited until I got to the payment screen to enter it. There are several different codes on the certificate. I think I had to combine both the cert number and the PIN in the same box.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The sCO TCVs came with a program year and PIN. Those are entered on the checkout page.

I believe that the sUA ones are entered as 1016.... in the Offer Code box before you start the search.

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the domestic only restriction been removed off of the UA e-certs?

canucklehead likes this.
  8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I hope that sticks too. The UA metal only rule still applies.

canucklehead likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1016 doesn't work at all when trying to search in the Offer Code box, so I guess I'd have to call it in to redeem quite possibly.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you typing the whole number off the cert? It should start with 1016 but is actually like a full ticket number, not just those 4 digits. The .. represents the rest of the numbers in the cert code in this case. :-:

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That worked and I just realized I just got screwed over by someone on TOBB. :-:

12. cgriffiths

cgriffiths Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much to everyone! The offer code did the trick. I was able to enter the complete number and it worked:)

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to note that it does not show the total taken off until the purchase page for the UA E-Certs so one would have to find a fare above the E-Cert or else it kicks up a fare bucket if it's under the E-Cert value.

14. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just used a UA cust:eek:mer service e-cert that was issued last year. I first tried going through the "certificate programs" link on the navigation bar. It rewrote my certificate with "12UADL" at the start. I was then able to use it by prepending that to the 1016 number that UA had sent me and entering that string into the "offer code" box as described above. When searching for flights this way there will be a blue star and a "promotional certificate" note in the results. The actual discounted price to be paid will not be displayed until you select all of your flights.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me or you can't use them for one-way itineraries? It keeps erroring out on me when I try to book an one-way.

16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just tried a one-way. The error I saw was this:
    It certainly appears to me that one-way itineraries do not qualify (at least for the certificate I tried to use).

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct but these sUA E-Certs we received are valid for Roundtrip or One-Way itineraries so the new UA is changing the terms or it could just be a UA.COM bug?

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So long as your one-way has a connection you can trick it by specifying the connection on multi-segment. Otherwise it is broken.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was trying to redeem it for a PBI-EWR and it looks like it won't work for INTL (domestic only) as well.

20. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get an international itinerary to price with the e-cert without any issues. Also, it seems that you can book it on codeshare flights as long as it has an UA flight number [has to be UA7903 op by LH, but not LH380].

Also, it seems that we are required to begin travel by or complete travel by the date the e-cert expires. I tried using one that expires in July for a dummy booking in September and it won't go through.

Xyzzy likes this.
  21. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If so, that would be a new restricti:mad:n and I need to either work through my supply faster or complain about the change of terms.