How do I upgrade an itinerary when the upgrade link doesn't show?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bmvaughn, Mar 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bmvaughn

bmvaughn Active Member

Status Points:
    I purchased a trip this morning on United.com, but now that it's fully ticketed I still can't see the Upgrade Reservation link. This is a trip where I am at the destination for less than 24hrs, so I should be able to use one upgrade instrument for the entire duration as I've done in the past on UA and CO, but I can't find the link to do so online.

How do I go about requesting an upgrade?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) The ability to use a single instrument on a return trip of that nature is a bug, not an official benefit.

2) If you cannot do it online then you have to call.

desamo and meFIRST like this.
  3. bmvaughn

bmvaughn Active Member

Status Points:
    On #1 - it's been a "bug" for at least 7 years... are you sure it's not intended?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm sure, at least on the technology platform that the company is currently using. There are a lot of things that have worked for a long time as exceptions. Doesn't mean that they are intended.

desamo, Flyer1976 and perryplatypus like this.
  5. bmvaughn

bmvaughn Active Member

Status Points:
    I miss the old days when I could use the IVR. That was 45 minutes I'll never get back.

6. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not seeing the "Redeem Upgrade Award" option on a reservation of mine either, even though it is just a simlple LAX-EWR with two nights in NYC... Still have to call in or wait to see if button appears?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can wait, but I doubt that will be particularly successful if the reservation is already ticketed. In that case calling in is the best bet.

desamo likes this.
  8. higal
    Original Member

higal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I couldn'nt find the link either, I had to call 1K desk for my recent HNL-BON purchase. The agent said it was a website glitch... Every Dom segment was under 4 hours, Int'l segment under 12 hours. She deducted 2 SWUs. When I asked her about the layover rule - she told me that's technically correct but...they considered it traveling in two directions so they have to take two.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's wrong if you're redeeming for HNL-IAH-BON one way it should be 1 SWU unless you're flying a roundtrip.

10. higal
    Original Member

higal Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me on a ticket I just bought. Also when I called and had an agent do this manually 3 GPU (fma) SWU were deducted

LGA-IAD-INTL-EWR

1 for the LGA-IAD
    1 for the IAD-INTL
    1 for INTL-EWR

3 total. When in reality it should be 2 only. Now I got to call and have 1 deposited

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear they returned your GPU. "Bug" or not, I share the OP's puzzlement with this as there was a time not too long ago when one could go online at PMUA (.bomb) and request an upgrade for any eligible fare, either way or both, with a single upgrade instrument being good up to the first stopover point (defined as 12 hr or more, IIRC). The SWU was king of the hill then...just use it and forget it.

AZjohn likes this.
  13. bmvaughn

bmvaughn Active Member

Status Points:
    Total silence from UA on a timeline to get a fix in for this. I've had multiple instances where calling-in for upgrades takes the wrong number of upgrades or doesn't fully upgrade an itinerary. Wish I could use technology to do this.