How Do I? Redeem miles / points / awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by peteyboy100, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteyboy100
    Original Member

peteyboy100 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started collecting miles May of 2010 almost completely through credit card churning. Very soon after, my wife (and I) became pregnant. So, I haven't been able to use most of my miles. Our child was born 3 weeks ago! Woohoo! With about 250,000 points collected between my wife and I, we are now ready to start planning an awesome summer trip.

My problem is that I have no idea about what the best way to redeem miles and points are. I've been to the various reward program websites to see what is available. I was under the impression that I could fly round trip in the US for about 25,000 points. This seems to be true for about 5 various days a month. It seems, the other days double the requirement.

Anyhow, I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable about mile redemption could make a how-to guide for us noobs. Perhaps it could get stickied to the top of this thread?

One of the downfalls of flyertalk, IMHO, is that it is far from noob friendly. Forums are meant to inform and one of the best ways of doing that is by creating guides. I hope milepoint users can help out.

misman and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The most important question here is where those miles and points are banked. Are they credit card points (from Chase or Citi) or are they miles banked with one or more airlines? That will be the determining factor in what you can do with those points.

PAinNY likes this.
  3. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Start with the guide in my signature. That covers the three major alliances. If you have questions after reviewing that feel free to post there. The more questions the better I can refine that guide.

peteyboy100 likes this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was just going to post it but JasonH beat me to it. He started a thread on booking awards and many of us have contributed to it. Right now it is still "in work" and will get more detailed as time goes on. The direct link is:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ooking-without-elite-status.4124/#post-190600

Also, relative your question regarding 25K mile awards, it all depends on when you are looking to book. The airlines only set aside a certain number of "saver" awards (the 25K kind). They may not even release a saver seat on every flight. If people have already reserved the saver awards on a flight then you have a couple of choices. 1 - Go a different day. 2 - Find creative routing. 3 - Use more points. Most of us have learned to use creative routing. For example, my wife and I have a vacation (cruise) from Istanbul this summer. We wound up booking LAX - SEA - FRA - IST. Had to go through SEA because I was looking for 2 F awards. Even doing that, the LAX - SEA is in C but do hope that F will open before flight time. If I had just put in my origin and destination this routing would never have been displayed.

Also, congratulations on the new born.

5. peteyboy100
    Original Member

peteyboy100 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I hope it gets stickied to the top of the newbie area.

PAinNY and misman like this.
  6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some have also reported that Saver C (business)/F (first) availability is often better than Y, so don't limit yourself to just looking for coach awards.

PAinNY likes this.