How do I keep Platinum Elite while using Priceline?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by JoelM, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have been a Platinum Elite for several years, last year I think I was around 115 nights. Due to unforseen changes I am in a new job and my new boss wants me to use Priceline. I am staying at better hotels for about 1/4 - 1/2 of the price by bidding on the room the day of but I miss my Marriott points. Any tricks on getting the points/status while using Priceline?

joesmoe and Espan like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    JoelM,

Welcome to MP!

Of the many Hotwire and Priceline bookings I've had, I've only had one count once for HHonors...don't think it looks good on this one...

Perhaps others have some thoughts...

robin

joesmoe likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check your account. if you had 115 nights last year, some nights should have carried forward.

joesmoe likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you mean "name your own price" Priceline, there is no way to do this. You may have more luck with transparent booking. I don't see the benefit or PL for business. Using my corporate code I get decent rates, breakfast and I can cancel up until 6pm the day of the stay. It only takes 1 or 2 cancellations to negate any PL savings, as all PL bookings are non-cancellable.

5. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some chains will extend benefits of loyalty programs but not usually points. Ask your boss if you can use your personal credit card and then get reimbursed for travel. At least that way you will get some rewards for using your credit card.

Jett Rink likes this.
  6. alexkgtu

alexkgtu Active Member

Status Points:
    try emailing customer service and play "oh, I didnt know" card. while I never done that, but my close friend does it all the time - works in 90% cases.

7. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, as mentioned, Marriott's rules state that 3rd party prepaid rates like Priceline's aren't supposed to earn points. But Marriott is one of the few big hotel chain's that will still honor your elite status even on these types of stays.

With that said, Marriott tends to look at a person's travel history over the last 3 years and they have been known to keep you at your existing elite level (i.e. Plat in this case) even if your credited stays don't meet the normal requirement. So it is possible Marriott may give you Plat status again even though you won't get the 75 nights normally needed.

And lastly, note that you will only drop to Gold elite level no matter how few nights you stayed this year. Marriott has a "soft" landing policy on elite level drops. So you will only fall one level at most. And the good thing about being Gold is that the benefits really are pretty close to the Plat benefits (i.e. lounge access, room upgrades). You won't get the Plat arrival bonus and you won't get quite as many points for each stay, and there are a few other differences. But the two biggies in lounge access and upgrades are still there.

8. nickfromct

nickfromct Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not very practical, but get the Marriott Premier visa and spend a ton of money on it. You get 15 elite night credits up front and for each $3K you spend on the card you get an additional elite night night. You can also rent the cheapest meeting room at a marriott you can find for 10 elite night credits per meeting room rented.