How Do I Keep My Miles and Points From Expiring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canarsie, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While certain frequent travel loyalty programs may differ in some areas, there are certain activities that generally keep miles and points from expiring.

This thread is designed to be the definitive yet general all-purpose thread for those who want to know how to keep their miles and points from expiring.

Obviously, flying on an airplane or staying in a hotel room will keep miles and points respectively from expiring.

However, many airline and hotel frequent traveler loyalty programs also usually offer the following general methods of extending the expiration date of miles and points:
    • Install a search toolbar in your Internet web browser for each loyalty program, if available
    • Purchase goods at the shopping area portion of the Internet web site of the airline or hotel company
    • Rent a car and credit your rental to the desired airline or hotel frequent traveler loyalty program
    • Participate in the latest promotions in which you have a chance of winning miles or points
    • Obtain an affinity credit card which allows you to earn miles and points with every purchase
    These are simply a few of many ways to extend the expiration dates of miles and points. Some of the ways are free of charge; others involve purchases you might have made anyway.

Links to more specific threads in the appropriate airline and hotel forums on milepoint.com should be posted in this thread as well.

Freddie Listo and joesmoe like this.
  2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some programs allow for the account to be shown as active if a donation is made. So pick a charity and donate a few miles.

kirkpd and Freddie Listo like this.
  3. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sign up for a dining loyalty program for each credit card, use awardwallet.com to watch for expiration, buy a beverage t a dining loyalty retaurant to renew your time period.

Freddie Listo and joesmoe like this.
  4. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With AA, I buy a magazine or newspaper subscription that I use anyway. Those magazines make great, inexpensive gifts, too! I'm sure most other programs have similar options, but I haven't had a need to explore them since I fly regularly on most of the other programs I have miles currently.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  5. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Qantas it is very easy as any points transaction except family transfers qualifies as an activity. Qantas requires activity within an 18 month window and they have effectively sewn up a large part of the CC loyalty programs on Oz so any activity get a monthly points sweep to QF.

joesmoe likes this.
  6. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
    I make a note on my computer calendar one month before the deadline for all hotel/airline programs with expiration (e.g., Starwood, UA, AA). This gives me time to use the suggestions above to earn some points/miles. Recently that saved me a huge stash of SPG points, reminding me to stop for drinks at a convenient Sheraton.

Freddie Listo and Brit like this.
  7. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I didn't realize SPG points expired. Phew! Thanks for letting me know. So, presumably all you have to do is visit a local Sheraton and have a few drinks at the bar? How does it credit to your spg account?

8. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:

Or, of course, I suppose the points credited from my SPG Amex count. Duh! Sorry. It's Monday morning ... and last night was a late night ....[​IMG]

9. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. My AA miles (a paltry 1700 in the account) will be expiring in April. But, I have just signed up for the CitiAAdvantage card, and I am assuming the spend points that will be credited will keep this massive amounts of points that I currently possess safe? [​IMG]

10. Also worthwhile is using a service that helps you to monitor your accounts and alert you when your points are at risk of expiry. Many are free and some offer benefits such as making specific recommendations per program to extend the miles. Yes, we're obviously biased as we think that GoMiles is the cream of the crop, but there are many choices out there that can help.

There is a dedicated section of MilePoint, ConcourseZ, where answer specific questions about our product. Please feel free to ask us anything you want there (http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/gomiles.201/).

11. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    any activity keeps them current -- spend or earn

12. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good site. I think there are others similar to it, am I correct? I don't subwscribe to any of them, but maybe I should start.

What are others' experiences of the various sites? Input welcome.

13. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use awardwallet for this.

Satish Talim likes this.
  14. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Correct. And thanks to Citi you will soon actually have a semi-massive pile of AA miles.

So what's the easiest way to prevent BD miles from expiring, for a US member and without crediting a flight to the account?

15. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes! In fact, I was trying to figure out how to spend the $8k needed and thought that I might get in on the US Mint coin deal. And then I had a brainwave (amazing things these brainwaves) - why not just charge the obscenely large amount of taxes I owe? Bingo! $8k over and done with in one fell swoop and no carting boxes of coins to the bank! Uncle Sam has been waiting for my money all year - I've not wanted to part with it, parting is such sweet sorrow - so if I do have to part with it, I may as well get something for it, right!

I'm a happy girlie tonight!

16. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    what do you think of award wallet? Is is a good service? is it safe to give up your passwords/pin #s? I'm abit leery of giving up my account numbers and passwords.

17. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has an option where you can store them locally on your computer, but then the site only checks when you are logged into it.

18. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I could do that. I quite like the idea of having everything neatly in one place so that I don't have to log in to multiple sites.

19. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just let it keep track of mine though.

Also, yodlee has most FF accounts in it.

20. The main reason not to go that route is that you are paying a transaction fee to some 3rd party company to pay taxes via a credit card and that fee is often higher than the value of the points you are getting.

There are definitely other sites similar to what we do, such as AwardWallet, but we think that we're both different and better. One of our main "selling" points (hard to sell since we're a free service, but go with it) is that we do more than just tell you that your points are expiring. We give you step-by-step tips on how to extend them.

There's lots more to our product suite, too. We're trying to keep most of the commercial/bragging stuff out of here and in the CoucourseZ section since that is officially where ventures like ours are supposed to live, so c'mon over there and take a look at what we have to offer (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/an-introduction-to-gomiles.1340/).

21. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great, thanks! I'll pop over and take a look.

Also, ordinarily I would not even think about charging my taxes to a CC. But in this case, I will get 150,000 AA miles and so the fee charged by the 3rd party is made more palatable. Also, it means that I don't have to constantly monitor the card to see whether I am meeting the spend or not. As I have the cash to pay the taxes, I won't be carrying the balance so there'll be no interest to pay. Trying to find $8k of purchsaes in the next six months will probably be difficult otherwise.

22. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    - Continental often gives out points for signing up for their e-newsletter, etc. Usually about 100 points at a time
    - American Airlines often gives out 100-150 miles for looking @ their Bose video promotion
    - Signing up for e-rewards and e-miles. Surveys are annoying, but when you get enough points you can redeem for ~500 miles. These invites usually come directly from the airline
    - Dining points. Sign up w/ Dividend Dining, United Dining, etc.
    - Credit card usage

A good place to find these offers is on the Points Wizard blog (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointswizard/)

23. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Freddie Listo and calwatch like this.
  24. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idea is to transfer points (like SPG points) over to an account to keep it alive. Depending on your status, you might be able to transfer just one point to keep it active.

Wanaflyforless and travelingmore like this.
  25. Monkey99

Monkey99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use following to keep my accounts active.

• e-miles for keeping my US Airways, CO and Delta miles from expiring. I log in once a month.
    • Opinionplace for keeping my AA miles expiring. I know its a little work answering a survey but once in a month is fine.
    • MyPoints for transferring into my United account. It takes almost 6 months to reach 5100.
    • e-rewards earnings is very hard. But if I reach certain level I transfer to a Airline or hotel program. (Last year this was handy for US Air grand slam promo).
    Other have already mentioned dining options. The above are relatively free options although how would you value your time is a different discussion.

Clocktower and travelingmore like this.